Why do I keep myself in danger?

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 07:55 am
Long story short: dating man for 5 years but he never had any real financial sense. He is now unemployed with no prospects and over 65 years old. I am very financially sound but have adult kids who need my help so I'm still working at 60 y/o. We love each other but I see red flags all over the place. I know he is really trying to get a job and he inherited some money (but a modest amount) but I've been waiting for 6 months and nothing has changed (except his unemployment will run out next month). I know I should break things off but also know it will be really painful and I'll miss him terribly. I just can't seem to do what I need to do to get myself out of harm's way with him b/c I know I'll end up supporting him at least in part but he is such a good man and a great boyfriend otherwise. HELP!!!

jespah

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 11:25 am
@veryconfused123,
Continuing to work when you'd rather be retired stinks. So I am not without sympathy.

That having been said, what is he doing to try to get work? Sending out resumes? Taking a class to add new skills or update existing ones? Networking at industry events? Meeting with an employment counselor? Hanging out his freelancing shingle at places like Upwork? Visiting the union hall?

If he's trying and there is just nothing out there, that's one thing. But if he's not, then his situation is mainly of his own making.

Either way, you are not responsible for him financially. You can be kind, of course, and pay for dinners or go to less expensive places or be content with free dates. You can be supportive of his struggles and even drive him to job interviews if you like.

But you don't have to shell out his rent money, or give him a roof, or marry him to get him medical benefits. You don't have to buy him groceries, either.

And even if he is trying really hard to find work and is just plain unsuccessful (it happens), then you are still looking at someone whose remaining years are more likely to have medical issues than not.

I'm not saying you should be mean, but you are in a position, currently, where you are not as fully wrapped up as you could be. Of course any of us could be hit by a bus tomorrow. But guys who are over 65 years old and who have the stress of no employment prospects probably don't have terribly long life expectancies. And those years might not be so kind (stress can lead to strokes, heart attacks, etc.).

You say you have adult kids who need your help. I am assuming you are willing to help them. Well, the bucks aren't infinite.

Choose.
veryconfused123

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 11:49 am
@jespah,
thank you
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 04:52 pm
@veryconfused123,
It's human nature (for most folks) to want to help people out. The trick is to forget that you've gotta take care of yourself first.

I understand you don't want to bail on this guy during a tough time, but don't feel guilty for managing your own stressors. Would it be possible to slow down the relationship so that you guys can just go out once or twice a week, not live together or anything like that, but JUST date?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 09:13 pm
Trust your instincts.

You don't want to enter your retirement years takung care of a man.

Just date. Keep things very separate. Don't put yourself in stress at your age.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why do I keep myself in danger?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 02:40:00