Movies and books that traumatized you as a wee lil kid?

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 11:02 am
I'm not sure if I can remember any of my own personal experiences but on Youtube there is a meme that many channels talks about movies that really scared (traumatized or disturbed) the creators when they were kids.

Do you remember any movies (not necessarily out and out horror) that you watched with or without your parent's permission did you experience? How much do you think it affected your emotional development and current personality?

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 11:08 am
My Mom said I was terrified of the witch in Snow White. I don't recall. The one other movie that traumatized me, ever, was the original King Kong.
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 11:31 am
@tsarstepan,
Earnest scared stupid had me scared of underneath the bed for longer than I'd like to admit.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 12:19 pm
The wicked witch riding the bike in Wizard of Oz frightened my friend, even today.

I never got over the creature from the Black Lagoon coming up from the water, muck and weeds all over him.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 12:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Bambi!

The entire thing is filled with horrible happenings. Bambi is left an orphan, the forest is destroyed. This was supposed to be for children? What in the hell was Walt Disney drinking and smoking?

Old Yeller.

"Here ya go son, it's time you learned ta use your rifle. Now go out and shoot your dog dead!"
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 01:39 pm
Early on, about five or six years old, it was Frankenstein, the scene where the monster is first presented. The woman becoming the witch inside the tornado in The Wizard of Oz was another. The Excorcist, though, at seven or eight years of age, watching the girl getting slammed against her bed and having her head spin all the way around her back was absolutely harrowing. It was truly a psychologically scarring and traumatizing experience.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 02:39 pm
@Sturgis,
Bambi for me too. I was eight. I saw it in our apartment the year we lived in New York City. My dad worked for RKO then and did bring a few films home. I don't remember if RKO had anything to do with the film and don't feel like looking it up. I presume at least one of my parents was there when I saw it, but I was eight a very long time ago. I remember I saw it on our small screen, probably a good thing - I was horrified.

Repercussions? I've never been interested in horror films as such. But then I wasn't in the first place. I can read tough novels that have bad stuff happening, but I veer to realism in my reading as well as movies. I can also read world news including horrific happenings, not because it's fun in any way but because I want to get what is going on out there.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 04:25 pm
I've never really liked clowns. John Wayne Gracey did it in for me, finally.

That new movie "it" is creepy.
Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2017 10:20 am
@Sturgis,
Funny I loved Bambi - it was the first movie I remember going to in a movie theatre as a young child. I thought this is fantastic!

But you know the first thing I thought of upon reading this title was the story was Old Yeller even though I was much older as I read it myself.

The other thing I can remember be deathly afraid of was Howdy Dowdy or whatever the h*ll his name was. That doll was ugly as anything and creepy looking not to mention the thing talked.

One other thing that was creepy - the child catcher in Chitty Chitty bang bang.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2017 10:21 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

That new movie "it" is creepy.

I love the book It - haven't seen the newest movie - love the idea of the creepy clown.
0 Replies

Alpha-1

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2017 10:49 am
Never saw it, but there was this movie "When a Stranger Calls" I think. The commercials had a phone ringing from some psycho and he was in the house. Freaked me out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2017 01:09 pm
Something that really creeped me out was during the golden age of radio. A Bromo Seltzer commercial. This chorus of whispering voices would chant "Bromo Seltzer, Bromo Seltzer, Bromo Seltzer," and I would be lying in bed listening and have to hide beneath the covers.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 09:24 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

That name should be John Wayne Gacy. (I had to think a second on that one.)

Back to the topic at hand, the 1971 movie The Hellstrom Chronicle comes to mind. Documentary-styled movie features closeups and macro-photography of tiny bugs and critters that live right UNDER OUR NOSES. (Not that I'm a germaphobe or OCD handwasher but after this you can easily become one).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 09:25 am
"Jaws"

I still refuse to swim in the ocean.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2017 10:44 am

0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 10:22 am
'Alien'. I was scared senseless throughout, but especially at the chest bursting scene and the creepy scene with all the chains hanging down from the ceiling.
And then, in the end, just when you think it's over...

PS. To this day I keep on wondering why you would need a ton of chains going up to the ceiling in a spaceship...
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2017 07:35 am
@najmelliw,
najmelliw wrote:

'Alien'. I was scared senseless throughout, but especially at the chest bursting scene and the creepy scene with all the chains hanging down from the ceiling.
And then, in the end, just when you think it's over...

How young were you when you first saw Alien???
najmelliw
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2017 03:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

How young were you when you first saw Alien???

Good question. I'm not entirely sure, but given my own age and the fact I saw it on tv, I had to be at least around 7 or so.

Thing was, I was a tagalong with my parents to a party for their friends. I went upstairs with their kids, and they had a tv upstairs. So I got to watch the movie while my parents remained blissfully unaware downstairs.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Movies and books that traumatized you as a wee lil kid?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:05:35