Mortal Engines

Ray

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:23 pm
I've just read this book, and it's good. Anyone else read this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 676 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ray

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:18 am
Anyone even heard of the book?
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:14 pm
Hi ray, i read it and the sequel, Predator's Gold, and i really enjoyed them! pretty unusual to have a disfigured heroine. really interesting idea of municipal darwinism, too Smile
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 02:42 pm
Hi Dora! Great to know someone else find it a good read too. I haven't read the sequel.

*spoiler*

I don't like how many of the characters died in the first book and how it's graphically violent in some parts. Other than that, a good novel.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 03:13 pm
I had to go look at the book to make sure I wasn't going to bring up anything that actually happens in the second book and spoil it for you if you're going to read it! I'd kind of forgotten how many characters died, that was pretty uppsetting, but on the whole I thought it all fit into the story well enough to forgive the author... I just hate it when it seems like the writer kills someone just to make the story more "real" or something. This all seemed to me to be integral to the plot, especially once youread the sequel and see how some of the pieces fit together. I just loved some of his creepy ideas, like the Stalkers... those are a pretty impressive creation to me! The whole book was just so strange, creative, and still completely convincing I thought.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 01:14 am
Agreed. When I read the first couple of pages, I doubted if the moving cities thing could work, but the author made it so realistic in portraying the messed up world of city-eat-city, with brainwashed traction-citizens, and the drama between the characters that it does work out.
0 Replies