HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ASKED FOR A BRIBE?

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:10 pm
It just ocurred to me; in my 64 years of life, I have never been asked for a bribe. In fact, as I have traveled around America, I have had few moments of concern or danger.

What about you? If possible, would you share the situation(s).
How many times in your life? Weekly? Monthly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,339 • Replies: 34
No top replies

husker

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:43 pm
I'm sure when I was a kid and teen people paid me to not beat them up - does that qualifty?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 12:20 am
Nobody's asked me, and I haven't a clue about how to offer one, either. I guess I'm not qualified as "dangerous" yet.

And, Mapleleaf, where you been hiding yourself?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 04:57 am
I have, but not in the U.S. Many years ago (almost 30 years ago), as some friends and i were driving in Mexico, we would be stopped in the mountains at night by Federales backed up by Mexican soldiers carrying M16s. They would go through you stuff, saying things such as "Nice camera, can i have it?" We'd tell them no, and eventually it would get down to the dickering for cash.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:07 am
Husker, I would think so.

Hello Roger, in the last year of so, I've lost the desire to keep up with A2K. Frankly, this has happened in other areas of my life; so, I don't consider it a negative thing re A2K. Thanks for asking. Smile

Setanta, I've been told bribes are an integral part of other cultures. Would you consider Mexico as being in that group?
What about Canada and the other countries of Central and South America?

Pitter...you out there?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:08 am
Ofcourse !! I come from India - very few things happen without a bribe there !!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:11 am
Prince, what other countries in your area would also be included?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:12 am
Mapleleaf, we only ran into that in the mountains. When we were in Guadalajara, we met a Federale at a disco, and when we asked him about it, he said the patrols in the mountains were only there to catch gun-runners, and that as long as we had no firearms, there was really nothing they could do. (In the mid-1970's, the corruption of the drug smuggling culture had not spread thoughout Mexico.) He suggested that it was just individuals taking advantage of a situation which would frighten most tourists. He advised us to be courteous, but firm, and refuse to give them anything. The last time we were stopped, on the way to Zacatecas as we were headed back to the U.S., we followed his advice, and they let us go. I think things might be quite different now, given the horrible corruption introduced by the drug smuggling culture.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:15 am
Having lived in various parts of the world, I would say that bribes are uncommon in the US on a day to day basis. Not so in Latin America where my father would invariably be forced to pay at a traffic stop.
In my mind the biggest obstacle facing Latin America is the culture of bribery and the ensuing corruption that weakens the economic foundation of many countries.
Likewise China and Russia which is where Mapleleaf had in mind from a Russia thread.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:23 am
I have been bribed by many a groupie in my day....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:30 am
Being bribed to leave them alone doesn't count Bear....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:30 am
you're projecting again....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:31 am
Awww...a wet sloppy...no tongue.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:32 am
sweet....but hands off my ass.....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:35 am
where from your eloquence eminates...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:38 am
was that a tongue in cheek remark? I told you to stay away from there Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:44 am
In many areas of Africa, doing business involves distribution of cash , and thus you protect your equipment and grease the road to completion. Its an understood and its not even asked .

Government contractors in the US have a more sneaky "baksheesh" method, they provide political donations for the legislattors
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:45 am
hey! aside...I just downloaded the last two studio tracks...sorry about the delay. The first one is definitely on my playlist. How's it goin with the duo?...any gigs?...and what do they pay...$200.00?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:47 am
farmerman wrote:
Government contractors in the US have a more sneaky "baksheesh" method, they provide political donations for the legislattors

I'm sure this is true...I remember Spiro got nailed up in Ocean City...he was a legend in road building.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:54 am
panzade wrote:
hey! aside...I just downloaded the last two studio tracks...sorry about the delay. The first one is definitely on my playlist. How's it goin with the duo?...any gigs?...and what do they pay...$200.00?

we're looking good for 2005...we get 200.00 first time in for a look see...then 300.00. 500.00+ for college and corporate work....we're playing New Years Day which means I have to stay fairly sober and not shred my throat NYE....dammit!!!!! So much for the after party and the rapid fire Mongolian Mother F*#kers.....oh well...business....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ASKED FOR A BRIBE?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 09:12:32