• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,226 • Replies: 13
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2017 04:27 am
@maporsche,
It's very pretty but my current iPhone is already more than adequate.
maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2017 02:03 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
It's very pretty but my current iPhone is already more than adequate.

That's true every time a new phone is released. The old versions stay in service for 3-5 years.

In your mind, could Apple have released anything yesterday that would have made you want a new phone? Anything realistic, I mean (I'd love a phone that gave me backrubs...).
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2017 04:14 pm
@maporsche,
Is this the one that opens to owner facial recognition?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2017 04:27 pm
@maporsche,
Insanely overpriced. And I bet the face recognition will be easily unlocked/foiled.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2017 09:10 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
In your mind, could Apple have released anything yesterday that would have made you want a new phone?

Probably not. The only thing that might have motivated me would be if they removed the camera "bump" on the back of the phone. I hate that bump. It ruins the symmetry of the phone. I love the OLED screen, but I won't be really impressed until they wrap it around the edge bezel as well.

What I really want is a flexible phone, one that has flex like a leather wallet so I can put it in my back pocket and sit on it and not worry about damaging it. But nobody even seems to be anywhere near making completely flexible piece of technology.

The perfect phone would be a uniform piece of flex-glass with completely wrap around OLED and no physical openings and no visible camera (waterproof of course), and wireless charging and connectivity.
maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2017 07:30 am
@PUNKEY,
It is
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2017 07:33 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Insanely overpriced. And I bet the face recognition will be easily unlocked/foiled.

I actually don't think the price is much higher than the competition. The flagship Samsung Note cost $950, for example.

There are cheaper iPhones than the X. Including the 8 priced the same as last years model, only upgraded.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2017 07:35 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

maporsche wrote:
In your mind, could Apple have released anything yesterday that would have made you want a new phone?

Probably not. The only thing that might have motivated me would be if they removed the camera "bump" on the back of the phone. I hate that bump. It ruins the symmetry of the phone. I love the OLED screen, but I won't be really impressed until they wrap it around the edge bezel as well.

I put all my phones in Otter Boxes so the bump (or really the phone design itself) never matters to me. I don't think I'd enjoy the wraparound feature if they introduce it.

Quote:
What I really want is a flexible phone, one that has flex like a leather wallet so I can put it in my back pocket and sit on it and not worry about damaging it. But nobody even seems to be anywhere near making completely flexible piece of technology.

The perfect phone would be a uniform piece of flex-glass with completely wrap around OLED and no physical openings and no visible camera (waterproof of course), and wireless charging and connectivity.

Someday maybe.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2017 08:31 am
@maporsche,
My thoughts after reading about the "revolutionary" iphone X is that is looks a lot like the Galaxy S8. Wrap around OLED screen, no home button, memory, speed, size, etc. I can get an S8 for $600 unlocked from Samsung and get another $150 off if I trade in my current phone.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2017 01:16 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
...looks a lot like the Samsung Galaxy 8.

Which is less than surprising, since, it has Samsung technology built into it.

www.ibtimes.com/apple-depends-koreas-samsung-lg-iphone-x-parts-2589970
maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2017 03:24 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

My thoughts after reading about the "revolutionary" iphone X is that is looks a lot like the Galaxy S8. Wrap around OLED screen, no home button, memory, speed, size, etc. I can get an S8 for $600 unlocked from Samsung and get another $150 off if I trade in my current phone.

All phones look alike, the form factor hasn't changed much since the original iPhone. I've never understood that complaint. People don't complain about that as much when new cars are released each year that look pretty much the same as last year's model.

Samsung.com has the S8 priced at $724.99 right now. For a year old phone that's about right I think.

I can sell my iPhone 7+ on ebay for like $600 right now.

Does anyone think Apple will have any problem selling this $1000 phone?

Do you think Samsung will have any problems selling their next best phone for $1000? (...and you know this is coming).

0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2017 03:26 pm
@Sturgis,
Samsung has the OLED screen market pretty well locked up. I have a feeling Apple will start to invest heavily in their own company to build their screens. Personally, while I love OLED on my 55in big screen. I just don't see why it's worth it on my phone. It's the biggest drawback of the iPhone X in my opinion, that screen is such a battery hog and I'm sure Samsung didn't give Apple much of a discount, thus raising the total cost of the phone.

I think the original iPhone had a screen (and likely other parts) made by different manufacturers.
0 Replies

dineshdhiman

Reply Mon 27 May, 2019 04:27 am
@maporsche,
Simply a few words to describe 'iPhone' - "Best Phones ever build in History"
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Apple Releases iPhone X, iPhone 8, & iPhone 8+
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 10:00:30