Internet Issue Caused by Faulty Wiring?

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 07:06 pm
Hello! I apologize in advance I know almost nothing about electrical work and reading online has not really given me a solid answer!

I've been having internet issues for the past six months. My internet provider recently sent a tech out and they found the outlet our modem was plugged into wasn't grounded. He used a tool to test it and explained it could cause the modem to go haywire.
He tested an outlet we had installed when we moved in and it got a green light from his outlet tester. He told us the outlet would increase our internet performance.
However, it did not.

When I called them and explained the issue was not resolved (not even 20 minutes after the tech left) they told us the wiring in our house was faulty and they would not be able to fix the issue.
No other electronics in the house have any issues and we've been living in the same house with the same internet provider for almost four years. The internet speed fluctuates from high to almost nonexistent or cuts out for a few seconds before coming back online. The modem never turns off when this occurs.

The problem started when they were upgrading the systems in town to run 1G internet and we've had issues ever since. They replaced all our lines out to the pole and replaced the modem three times.

Could it actually be faulty wiring or an excuse?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,701 • Replies: 2
No top replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 07:48 pm
@Firregani,
My experience tells me that it's possible, but probably not the actual issue. If you want them to diagnose the problem further though, you'll need to sort out the grounding issue. As of now, that's the easiest thing to blame because it means they don't have to do anything and it's your fault.
Firregani

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:37 am
@tibbleinparadise,
We have it plugged into a new outlet that is grounded though
0 Replies