Relationships - the boy has a birthday, the girl is not invited

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 12:10 am
Hello to everyone!
I am trying to understand my boyfriend and I need your help. The situation is this - We have been going out for 5 months. It was his birthday yesterday. He said that he is going out to a club with his friends he used to go to school with (1 boy and 3 girls). I wasn't invited. He said he can see me before going there, just for an hour.
Please tell me,
if you are a woman - how would you feel and what would you think?
if you are a man - what the reasons would be not to want your girlfriend to come?
for men and women - do you think that relationship has a future?
Thank you.

roger

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 12:16 am
@anonimna,
I'm just guessing that the "club" is what has come to be called a gentleman's club. You wouldn't fit in, and might inhibit the guys. As for the rest, I would not to attempt to predict the future.
anonimna

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 12:18 am
@roger,
I meant a night club. And he isn't going with boys only. Thank you for your reply.
tibbleinparadise

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 01:13 am
@anonimna,
5 months isn't so long. He may just want to hang with old friends without the sort of awkwardness that comes with new introductions. He may hope to score with one of his old female friends. He may be embarrassed by this particular group and is trying to be nice to everyone involved. He may feel no obligation to entertain you 24/7 and is taking a night off.

My solution would be to simply ask him what's up with not getting an invite to go with, or find your own thing to do with other people, or both.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 02:04 am
A birthday is special; if I were not special too I would be out of that relationship. That's just me.

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 08:32 am
@anonimna,
You've been dating for five months. That's a pretty new relationship.

He has friendships, groups, relationships that don't include you. That is as it should be for healthy relationships.

His friends may have arranged the get-together and it is not his place to invite you to something like that.

If you want to do something for his birthday- then you can invite him out - treat him to a nice dinner/movie/concert etc. Make your own plans.

Don't worry about him and his friends. Their relationship predates you.

Maybe someday you will be part of that group, maybe not.

If you have a long-term relationship, you will be part of other groups with him.

__

Think of your own friends. If one (or more) of your friends invite you (and you alone) to something, do you think it would be right of you to add someone else to the invitation list? It's not.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 08:35 am
@centrox,
Birthdays aren't such a big deal. Set and I have been together 20+ years. We've spent maybe 4 or 5 of my birthdays and a dozen of his together - usually inadvertently. We've gone out for less than a dozen of our combined 40 birthdays. It's not bad to spend birthdays together but sometimes I'd prefer to party with my dance / music friends.
Linkat

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 11:11 am
@ehBeth,
That's because you are old. To the younger folk birthdays are a big deal.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 03:33 pm
@Linkat,
They were never important to me.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 05:06 pm
You've being going out. Apparently that means just casual dating to him. He thinks it's no big deal to not include you.

That means you are not 'going together,' just dating'' Nothing serious.

His friends apparently don't know about you.

Is that how you see things?

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 05:57 pm
@anonimna,
I don't think that guessing the reasons he didn't invite you is productive. Only he knows... and you should ask him.

That being said, 5 months is a kind of new relationship... but it isn't that new. If I were dating someone for 5 months, I would be hurt if they didn't invite me to come along. The message this sends is that the relationship isn't that important to him.

I think you should talk to him, and listen with an open mind. And, you should tell him how you are feeling (I would use the words "I don't feel like an important part of your life"... but that's me).

And if he isn't as serious about the relationship as you are, then you might start thinking about finding someone else.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 10:36 pm
My first thought was that he was invited and was being treated by his friends. If that's the case, it's not up to him to invite you.

Did you recognize or do anything special for his birthday?
nimh

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2017 03:37 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

My first thought was that he was invited and was being treated by his friends. If that's the case, it's not up to him to invite you.

Hmm, your and eBeth's replies surprised me, on this particular point.

If I organized, or helped organize, something for a friend's birthday, and that friend has a girlfriend/boyfriend that I knew about...

1) It would go without saying that they're welcome as well;

2) If I was unthinking enough not to explicitly invite them myself, it'd seem totally natural/OK for my friend to say, "hey my boy/girlfriend's coming too, that OK?" Of course that's OK.

The only exceptions for not inviting their boy/girlfriend, or not being OK with my friend taking their boy/girlfriend along, that I can think of are:

a) If I knew the boy/girlfriend, and they've proven to be a real pain and we had some bad experiences hanging out together. (But in that case I would leave them together on my friend's birthday itself, and just invite my friend to celebrate on another day);

b) If my friend actually told me s/he was looking to do something without their boy/girlfriend;

c) If it's not a "let's go out together & have fun" kind of thing but more of a "let's hang out & talk about personal stuff" occasion. But that wouldn't likely be on their birthday..
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2017 05:41 am
Yeah. Relationship over.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Relationships - the boy has a birthday, the girl is not invited
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:56:21