Furnace, Thermostat Compatability

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2017 09:15 pm
I bought a high efficiency furnace and have been working on installing it myself. I got the furnace in place, have run the line for the propane and have most of the ducting in place. Now it's time to hook up the thermostat and this where I'm stuck.
Can I use a simple (cheap) non programmable thermostat with my furnace?
The furnace I bought is a Goodman 97% efficient model. It has a modulating gas valve and a variable speed blower.
I know the old style furnaces were pretty simple and were either "ON" or "OFF". This one actually allows varying amounts of gas through to heat just a little bit or a lot, and the blower runs at varying speeds appropriate to the amount of heat produced. Are these functions controlled by the thermostat? I could have bought one of the "recommended" thermostats, but realized I don't need or want one that learns my habits, adapts to my lifestyle, connects to the internet so that I can adjust the heat in my house while I'm on vacation, etc. etc. I'm capable of manually turning the heat up or down as needed. I also didn't want to pay $150 to $450 for an item that should cost $20. I guess I'll pay if I have to, but would rather not. So far, the website where I bought the furnace hasn't been any help. Any information will be greatly appreciated and put to good use. Thank You!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 614 • Replies: 0
No top replies