what is a crash-bang job?

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 07:48 am
this sentence is speaking of a cook. "he had to wallop out a steak and veg or a chicken parma, mate, you betcha, and hack up carcasses for those cliff-sided roasts. A crash-bang of a cook. "
I can't understand what he is doing exactly? wallop out, and crash-bang are confusing for me.

centrox

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 08:05 am
To wallop is British slang for 'hit' or 'beat'. The piece is saying that the cook worked as if he was striking blows rapidly. 'Crash-bang' suggests a crash or collision (a car crash for example). His cooking style is rapid and dramatic.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 01:54 pm
@centrox,
Cen don't 'zak'l agree , tho you most always do better'n me. But I'd say 'crash-bang' here means just excellent, or outstanding
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 01:58 pm
Could be, Dale. As impressive and surprising as a car crash, but in a good way. However you've got that 'wallop' at the start which kind of sets a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am idea about how he cooks, so maybe a bit of both?

Update - the text is Australian relaxed/street/slangy style. It is from a novel called "Waiting" by Philip Salom. In Cockney and Australian slang you have the expression "crash-bang-wallop!" which vividly expresses a sudden event like a car crash, a blow, something falling heavily, etc. There are your three words used. Also, in criminal slang, a 'crash-bang' gang is one which specializes in robberies where sudden, unexpected and rapid action is the key. So maybe I stand by what I said. It's slang.

https://www.wheelercentre.com/projects/victorian-premier-s-literary-awards-2017/waiting

I must say it looks like a textbook example of bad writing, but what do I know?

dalehileman

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 02:00 pm
@centrox,
Thank you Cen, you've made an old fella's day if not 'tire week
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 02:12 pm
See updated. I think we both could be right.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 03:57 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
but what do I know?
Probly mor'n me
0 Replies

fatimasima

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 10:27 am
@centrox,
I had no idea about the language style and I never could have, because I'm not a native English speaker. So this can be very helpful for me in reading the rest.
you mentioned the name of novel, I'm wondering if you've read it and what is your idea about it? in total?
centrox

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 11:40 am
Where did you get the text from, that you quoted?
fatimasima

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 10:36 am
@centrox,
"waiting" novel
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 12:26 pm
@fatimasima,
fatimasima wrote:
you mentioned the name of novel, I'm wondering if you've read it and what is your idea about it? in total?

I have not read the whole novel, only the extract on the web page I gave a link to. I found it by entering the sentence you posted into Google.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » what is a crash-bang job?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.88 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:44:05