the shining quote?

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:45 pm
I just finished the shining...what a great read!!! But I could not find when he says "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy". I'm not even entirely sure that, that quote is from this book. Is it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,549 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:46 pm
That line was ad libbed by Jack Nicholson during the filming. Also, the book has the hedge animals come to life, but only a hedge maze in the movie.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:48 pm
Actually, I could be thinking about "Here's Johnny!" Not positive the "all work ... " line was an ad lib.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:51 pm
Yeah, I don't know who's idea it was, but it definitely wasn't in the book. The book actually has a completely different ending too.

Stanley Kubrik took a lot of liberties with that story, but I thought the book and the movie were both great.
0 Replies

Twistmaster9000

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:11 am
yeah, I really liked the part with the hedge animals. How come they only moved when nobody was looking? Also, how does the movie end? Does Jack live?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:09 pm
Okay, if you really want to know, I'll tell you, but first...

THE NEXT POST IS A SPOILER. IF ANYONE IS READING THIS AND DOESN'T WANT TO KNOW HOW "THE SHINING" MOVIE ENDS, DON'T READ THE NEXT POST!!!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:15 pm
Okay...

Actually, I can't remember all the details, but Jack ends up chasing them around in the hedge maze until he finally gets hopelessly lost and freezes to death. The mother and kid get away, although I forget exactly how. That whole part in the book about him forgetting to check the boiler doesn't happen at all.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:24 pm
As I recall, in the move he types "all work and no play..." over and over again - I don't recall whether that's in the book or not.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:25 pm
No, it isn't.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:37 pm
mac11 wrote:
As I recall, in the move he types "all work and no play..." over and over again - I don't recall whether that's in the book or not.

That's right. Clearly not an ad lib. Kicky is right about Kubrick taking liberties with the script. He probably just added that. I heard he was a pain in the a$$ to work for, making the actors reshoot scenes for hours. Nicholson swore he'd never work with him again.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:41 pm
The book is a contemporary classic.
0 Replies

Twistmaster9000

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 12:27 pm
what other symbolism is in the book? I already know that wasps, and the hotel are big symbols.
0 Replies