what is a deli-slash-café?

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:10 pm
what is a deli-slash-café?
for example, if someone wants to translate it?

jespah

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:16 pm
@fatimasima,
It's a place where you can buy sandwiches and small salads which also has tables where you can eat what you just bought (usually by going to a counter and ordering, rather than getting table service).
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:28 pm
@fatimasima,
I am assuming you mean "deli-cafe" or 'cafe-del'i

Eat in or carry out.

fatimasima

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:39 pm
@PUNKEY,
does it differ? I mean deli means sth?
because this is the exact phrase I found in the text.
centrox

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:43 pm
@fatimasima,
fatimasima wrote:
what is a deli-slash-café?for example, if someone wants to translate it?

Deli is a (mainly) American contraction of 'delicatessen'.

We use slashes sometimes (or hyphens, or simply join the words together) to indicate a thing that is a combination of other things. I expect you can imagine what these things might be like: cafe/cinema, cafe/bar, cafe/comedy club, pub/hotel, sauna/gym.

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:50 pm
Not all cafes have a deli.

But many delis have a place to sit down, order and have drinks. That makes them a cafe-deli or deli-cafe.
centrox

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:51 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
Not all cafes have a deli.

If so named, I would suggest that none do.
fatimasima

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:51 pm
@centrox,
OK. now I understood it well.
fatimasima

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks for the help.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:54 pm
@fatimasima,
deli

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delicatessen

A delicatessen or deli is a retail establishment that sells a selection of unusual or foreign prepared foods. Delicatessens originated in Germany during the 1700s and spread to the United States in the mid-1800s. European immigrants to the United States, especially Ashkenazi Jews, popularized the delicatessen in American culture beginning in the late 1800s.

Delicatessen is a German loanword[1] which first appeared in English in 1889[2] and is the plural of Delikatesse. In German it was originally a French loanword, délicatesse, meaning "delicious things (to eat)". Its root word is the Latin adjective delicatus, meaning "giving pleasure, delightful, pleasing".[3] The first Americanized short version of this word, deli, came into existence c. 1954.[4]

Canada[edit]
In Canada, both meanings of "delicatessen" are used. Immigrants from Europe often use the term in a manner consistent with its original German meaning but, as in the United States, delis can be a combined grocery store and restaurant

___

Here in central Canada, you often find deli counters in grocery stores. That part of the store slices cold cuts and cheeses and serves prepared hot and cold meal components.

At a deli-cafe, you would find a small eating area near the deli so you could eat your sandwich/meal.

___

Deli-cafe has different meanings in different parts of the world.
centrox

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:55 pm
@fatimasima,
fatimasima wrote:

OK. now I understood it well.

You do understand that this is a slash: / ....?

Sometimes people think it is more clever to write "deli-slash-cafe" than "deli/cafe". I think not, myself.

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:55 pm
@centrox,
We have many cafes that do not have a deli component.

fatimasima

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:56 pm
@ehBeth,
very helpful. tnx
0 Replies

fatimasima

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:58 pm
@centrox,
Yes. I hadn't seen it written between two words before. that's why I got confused Smile
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 01:00 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
We have many cafes that do not have a deli component.

In Britain it is quite common to find cafes that sell a limited range of things that you can take away, candy, cakes, sandwiches, coffee, etc, but I think that a cafe-deli would have to have a quite elaborate deli section to qualify for the name.
centrox

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 01:04 pm
Alternatives I have seen: cafe-deli, cafe/deli, cafe & deli, cafe-slash-deli, cafe slash deli. Also you can reverse the order of 'cafe' and 'deli'.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 01:10 pm
@centrox,
We've had debates on the meaning of cafe several times here.
centrox

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 01:18 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
We've had debates on the meaning of cafe several times here.

I can imagine! To me a café is a small restaurant serving coffee, beverages, and light meals. You can extend that envelope in various ways, I suppose, but it might morph into a pub or restaurant or something depending on which way you took it. Until recently there was an 'Internet café' near my house, that allowed you to rent time in front of a computer connected to the Internet. It had a vending machine that sold coffee and tea and another that sold confectionery like Kit-Kats and the like.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 02:31 pm
A deli/café is an evil place, in which I want one of everything, and in which they have a dining area so I can eat it all, and then go order more.

It's an EVIL place.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 03:52 pm
To Brits of a certain age, a 'delicatessen' is an exotic kind of food shop, usually run by Continental Europeans, where you can get non-Brit stuff like salt beef, salami, pickled cucumbers, sauerkraut, pumpernickel, etc. I was entranced by the first one I ever entered. There is one in Bristol that has been family run for 60 years, and a really good one in Cardiff.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » what is a deli-slash-café?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 09:23:09