Name this group from the 1970s

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 01:25 pm
I'm trying to remember the name of a group that released a number of albums in the 1970's. If I recall correctly, there were only two members, and I believe they were British. Very nice acoustic guitar playing. I had one of their albums, and the last song was entitled "Depression" (at least I think that was the name). That particular song had a memorable guitar riff, some flute and some vocal.

I know that isn't much to go one, but can anyone help? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,048 • Replies: 8
No top replies

New Leaf

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 03:06 pm
@New Leaf,
Never mind, I thought of it. The group was "Amazing Blondel." Thanks to all who tried.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 03:32 pm
Glad I could help.
Glennn

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 03:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wow! Would it kill you to acknowledge my part in helping to figure it out? Credit where credit is due and all that.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 03:58 pm
Meantime, welcome to A2K, New Leaf..

Did you manage to find the group on You Tube? I haven't looked, but would be interested.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 04:24 pm
@New Leaf,
New Leaf wrote:

Never mind, I thought of it. The group was "Amazing Blondel." Thanks to all who tried.

Excellent group. I think they may have been a trio though.

https://youtu.be/p6Q5Cgq2oP4?list=PLAeZhqeQV5v2KpOUtkdhCbY_xdbBrx3sG

You have to like Traditional English music though.
centrox

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 05:04 pm
@New Leaf,
New Leaf wrote:

I saw them at a college gig around 1978. I don't remember much except the name.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 05:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Excellent group. I think they may have been a trio though.

A trio first, later a duo. Featured in a Daily Telegraph list of "Glastonbury festival: the worst acts ever"

Quote:
Amazing Blondel (1970)
The inaugural Glastonbury a humble affair: 1500 odd attendees saw a dozen or so bands, while the £1 entry also included fee milk from Worthy Farm. There was still space for a stinker or two on the bill however – notably bearded trio Amazing Blondel, who used lutes and recorders to create their self-proclaimed "pseudo-Elizabethan/Classical acoustic music", or "medieval-themed folk drivel" to you and I.

Also...

Quote:
Dwight Yoakam (1994)
Aspiring country cowboy (and part-time actor) Dwight Yoakam didn't exactly get into the spirit of the festival. According to festival founder/director Michael Eavis, the moody troubadour spent the first half of his allotted 40 minute set "sulking" in his cabin. "He didn't like it, and we didn't like him," Eavis concluded.

and...

Quote:
Mansun (1997)
The chameleonic Britpop also-rans with lofty ambitions – and terrible dress sense – celebrated the release of their debut album Attack of the Grey Lantern with an appropriately disastrous set on the Other Stage, where they failed to finish a single song due to sound problems and a sinking stage. Probably for the best.

Attack of the Grey Lantern... kind of says it all, really.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 05:36 pm
@Glennn,
Well, I did the heavy part, but at least you tried to help.
0 Replies