I am required interview someone from a different race than myself

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 11:04 am
I am taking a class called Critical Cultural Competence. For my final I am required to interview someone I do not know who is not my race (white female). If you could give me a few minutes of your time I would be grateful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,039 • Replies: 1
No top replies

wendemars

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 11:25 am
@wendemars,
Interview Questions:
1. [If this person’s family is in the U.S.] How long has this person’s family been in the U.S.? What is the story of how their family came to this country?
2. What term(s) does this person use to identify him/herself culturally and racially and why does s/he prefer those terms?
3. What are children in this person’s cultural or racial group taught about the group? What is considered important for them to know?
4. What cultural traditions and rituals are important in this person’s family or group?
5. What is this person’s perspective on race relations in the U.S.?
6. Has this person or others in their family felt discriminated against or oppressed as a member of their racial or cultural group? If so, can they give an example?
7. What does this person view as the strengths that have come from being a member of their racial or cultural group?
8. Are there special benefits or privileges being a member of their racial or cultural group? If so, what are they?
9. What, if anything, does this person want you or others to know about their experience as a member of their racial/cultural group?
10. What is their idea about what is needed to create a better community, one in which all people feel included, respected, and valued?
11. Use of counselors or family therapists if problems arise with the family:
• If there are problems, how are these usually resolved?
• If problems cannot be resolved within the family household, then to whom does one turn?
• How does communication happen regarding problems? (Does it happen explicitly? Indirectly? Who’s included?)
• How receptive would the family be to outside intervention by counselors or family therapists?
12. Summary/Conclusions: What have you learned that would be valuable for those not familiar with this person’s background, or for counselors/professional helpers to know? List/Detail with specifics.
0 Replies