Mr. Christmas 2008-2017 RIP

Seizan

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 03:44 am
Mr. Christmas came to live with us on Christmas Day 2008. I went to school (we don't have Christmas Holiday in Japan) and in the teacher's office was a small black and grey tiger kitten with a little crook at the end of his tail. He was about 5 months old. Of course I asked "Whose kitten is this?" and the reply was that he belonged to no one; the children found him in the teacher's parking lot in the rain (a cold rainy Christmas Day). I asked, "If no one else takes him, may I bring him home?" The answer was a unanimous yes, since no one wanted a kitten and the plan was to put him back outside after the rain stopped. I had about 2 hours before my first class, so I brought him home and put him in the big cage with some food, water, and a clean litter pan.

And so his name was Mr. Christmas.

I won't go into the details of how he won everyone's heart with his antics, playing fetch the mousie for me, attaching himself to me and my wife, becoming my Best Bud, and all.

In the last 3 days he seemed to develop a mucous coating over his eyes. Once wiped clean, his eyes were clear and he could see OK. His nose became runny too.

I brought him to the vet and was told he needed to be in the nebulizer chamber for about 15 minutes each day for a few days, to breathe in the vaporous meds to clear his breathing passages, and he needed eye drops with antibiotics. He was also a bit dehydrated and needed water pumped in subcutaneously. No problem, he came home with me that morning.

He didn't eat much, but he drank some water.

Yesterday he seemed a bit improved but rather sluggish and showed no energy. When I put him in the car he made noises and I felt that protesting a car ride was actually an improvement (he was silent on the previous day, so very sick -- he always fussed when he had to go in the car). When I brought him in I asked if he could stay overnight, as I would be unable to bring him this morning (I had to go to the airport to pick up a lodging student). Again, no problem, he would have had his meds yesterday and again this morning, and Sumako would pick him up on her way home. It didn't seem serious, and the vet didn't seem too concerned.

This morning when the v et clinic opened, the tech called Sumako and informed her that Mr. Christmas had passed away during the night. It seemed to be a combination of upper respiratory problems and kidney failure.

Sumako tried to contact me but I was on the road back from Naha with my student, and when I got home, was too occupied with settling him in and explaining things about the training. Only late this afternoon did I get her call at the house. I don't carry a cellphone, and didn't check e-mail until after she called me later in the afternoon.

We will select a nice spot he would like, and tomorrow I will pick up a special heart-shaped stepping stone to use as a marker. If I can find the right paint, I'll put this on it:

Mr. Christmas
2008.7.14 - 2017.8.01
RIP

We've lost a lot of pets in the past 2 years...

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 05:57 am
@Seizan,
So sorry to hear this. He sounds a lovely cat
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 06:22 am
Sympathy.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 08:05 am
Sleep peacefully, dear lad.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 09:03 am
@Seizan,
Be at rest, Mr. Christmas.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 09:19 am
@Seizan,
It's not very nice when a pet dies. I found it difficult enough when I had to get my cat's ears amputated.

I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that he's no longer suffering.
Seizan

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 02:58 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks, and thanks to everyone else who read.

Hardest to get over is that Mr. C was so young (for one of our cats). We take pride in giving our cats a long healthy life into their mid or late teens, and sometimes beyond. This was as sudden as an accident. Even the vet was taken by surprise, and took it rather emotionally since Mr. C was under his care.

We've lost several over the past two years: Ichiro, Gypsy, Tiger, Indie, Nova, Harmony, Anna, our old dog Hatha, and now Mr. Christmas. Perhaps this could be expected, with 25 or more cats to care for. But we thought the losses would be spread out over a longer time than just a two year period...

Too many gone too soon.

My lodging students will help me dig for Mr. C today before it gets too hot. I'll go pick up his marker later this morning.
Roberta

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 03:33 pm
@Seizan,
Deepest sympathies. He had a good life, thanks to you.
chai2

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 04:20 pm
@Roberta,
Echoing Roberta.

He had a splendid life because of you.

RIP Mr. Christmas
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 05:27 pm
@Seizan,
So many pets had a much longer life with a higher quality due to you and your wife. Congats on having the means and the desire to do what you do for those pets.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 02:45 pm
@Seizan,
Again, and So soon. Im very sorry but we all know that when the kitten comes and its allowed to become part of the family, we will someday be mourning its going away.

0 Replies