Vapours of Promise-- a review of Kelly Vinal's book of hours

Letty

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 08:31 pm
Kelly has created a new genre of poetry. It is not a breath of any ghost of the past, but a fresh new vista of tomorrow. I begin with his poem, "Overfines", because it is the omega of the beginning.

"The ocean of the river's flow,
The mountains of the dust below-
Colombia's gone across the sky
Believe-
It isn't but to pass
It's done-
Goodbye."

And in this final epilogue, Kelly Vinal has touched a nerve of verse that sweeps nothing under the thread bare book of time and rhyme. He simply says and behold, it is.

A military officer stationed in the United Kingdom, and a vapour of promise.

To be continued...........................................................................
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,282 • Replies: 11
No top replies

kellyvinal

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:33 am
It is very strange that you read my book back-to-front, but hey, I made it symmetrical :-)

Thanks Letty - can't wait to hear more of your insight :-)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 09:41 am
Just call me strange, Kelly. <smile> Often many writers compose their endings first so that they may fit the pieces together properly. The next one that I will do is "Banished One". Cav and I talked about the alpha and omega and completing the circle together. I was pleased that my family read many of your poems, and were quite taken with them.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 09:44 am
I shall pipe in, it's just a really busy time, and I want to give the work the respect it deserves when reviewing. It's great stuff.
0 Replies

kellyvinal

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 11:32 am
Thanks y'all :-) Be sure to check out my new posting, in which I attempt the art of knitting!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:21 am
From 'Fortress':

Those towers, symbols, they might crumble,
But what is best is yet to be realized, friend -
They aren't squandered, tragic, twisted,
Smoldered relics of achievement and faded glory -
But rather, opportunities to thrust through, renewed and anew -
Greater than the original intent and stronger than before.

I can't help thinking that this poem was about moving on after 9-11, and if it is, it is not only very well-crafted, but incredibly moving as well. This was my favourite stanza, so full of hope in the face of adversity. Powerful, visceral stuff.
0 Replies

kellyvinal

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:33 am
Thanks for the kind words, Cav :-) Fortress was indeed inspired by the 9/11 atrocities that got us to where we are today. All my books traditionally start with something heavy, and it was a challenge coming up with something suitable post-9/11.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:45 am
I was actually catering on 9-11, for 25 people. Talk about a strange day. I still haven't found the words to describe the completely surreal atmosphere surrounding the whole event. I think you rose up to the challenge very well indeed. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:05 pm
Cav, a great review. I particularly liked the last stanza.

"The calloused resolve, the indomitable fortress of
Freedom, like a pinecone, requires flame to flourish."

Kelly, one question:

Is the heavy black section running through Fortress significant? Is it perhaps a poem within a poem?

There I go again, looking at the omega first. <smile>
0 Replies

kellyvinal

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:34 pm
That was certainly a day we all shall remember for a long, long time...

You caught it Ms. Letty :-)
0 Replies

kvinal

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:46 am
@Letty,
I am back!
Letty

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:26 am
@kvinal,
Wow! Kelly, welcome back. You must update us about things, my young friend.
0 Replies