Automatic bank payments.

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:21 pm
One of my bills gets taken directly out of my bank, I was wondering if there is a specific time it comes out on the day specified? I heard it always comes out at the end of the banking day, is this true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 858 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:28 pm
There used to be a general rule that banks made payments first thing in the morning and credited deposits last thing in the afternoon. I think that, with the wonderful world of electronics, that's largely gone.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:50 am
Having worked in banks as a Personal Banking Officer and Assistant Branch Manager, I can only tell you that all credits to ones account are posted before any debits are posted. For that business day. Even electronically all is "settled" at the end of the business day.

The quirk is...some banks end their business day at say...3pm. If you were to make a deposit after that time, either in person or via an ATM machine, your credit would not be acknowledged until the next business day and some items posting to your account on one day may not be honored by the bank if sufficient funds are not shown on said date.

If you have a good relationship with your bank and/or your banker, they may take notice that a deposit was made after their business day ended and pay any items against the account that may otherwise have been returned for insufficient funds.

If you don't yet know your bank or banker, you may want to take the opportunity to build a relationship with them so you can give them the "heads up" that you did make a deposit but it was after the close of their business day and ask them to honor (pay) any items that may have come in before their close of business.

If they are hard nosed, they may pay, but still charge you a fee. Sad

You now...I just realized...this may be way more info than you were asking for, but I hope it helps!
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:05 pm
Thanks fishin'!

Lady J- I appreciate every word you put down, thank you. You helped alot.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 03:19 pm
My pleasure. Smile
0 Replies