How does Ebay multiple-item bidding work?

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 02:07 pm
How does Ebay multiple-item bidding work?

I have copied Ebay's "Help" screen on this topic and I still don't get it. Read it below, then read my questions and try to help me, please. Thanks.

General Tsao
========
When you see a quantity of two or more on an eBay auction, that's a Multiple Item Auction (Dutch Auction). This means the seller is offering multiple, identical items for sale. Unlike a regular eBay auction, Multiple Item Auctions can have many winners.

When you bid on a Multiple Item Auction, you specify the number of items you're interested in and the price you're willing to pay. All winning bidders will pay the same price: the lowest successful bid.

For multiple item auction listings, you cannot enter a maximum bid. The amount of your bid is the price you pay, (if yours is the winning bid). For example, if there are 10 items available and the opening bid is $4, and there is one bidder who bids $20 for 10 items, that bidder pays $20 for each item.

Much of the time, all buyers pay the starting price in Multiple Item Auctions. However, if there are more bids than items, the items will go to earliest successful bids.

To beat another bid, yours must have a higher total bid per item than other bids, regardless of how many items you are bidding on. Reducing this total bid value in subsequent bids is not permitted.

Example: For a listing with 10 available items and 2 bidders:
Bidder A bid for 3 items at $5 each.
Bidder B bid for 8 items at $6 each.
In this case, the lowest successful bid is $5. So the outcome of this listing is:
Bidder B wins 8 items at $5 each.
Bidder A wins 2 items at $5 each.

Winning bidders have the right to refuse partial quantities. This means that if you win some, but not all, of the quantity you bid for, you don't have to buy any of them. In the above example, Bidder A bid on 3 items but won only 2 of them. Bidder A can refuse to complete the purchase, as he or she didn't win the quantity they bid on.

Successful bids are displayed when you click on the link reading, "see winning bidders list" link. The complete bidding history (including any unsuccessful bids) is displayed when you click on the 'bid history' link.

You have the right to refuse partial quantities. This means, for example, that if you bid for 10 items and are offered only eight when the auction ends, you don't have to buy any of them.
============
So, what I don't get is why Bidder A was the "Lowest successful bid" but Bidder B got all eight of his items while Bidder A only got two.

If Bidder A was the successful bidder, then why did he not get all three items?

Also, why wasn't Bidder B, who bid $6 per item, not the successful bidder?

Thanks for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,433 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:50 pm
Re: How does Ebay multiple-item bidding work?
GeneralTsao wrote:
So, what I don't get is why Bidder A was the "Lowest successful bid" but Bidder B got all eight of his items while Bidder A only got two.

Bidder A was the lowest successful bidder because they had the lowest bid that was accepted/won. Successful in E-Bay terms simply means they bought something.

Quote:
If Bidder A was the successful bidder, then why did he not get all three items?

Because bidder B was willing to buy 8 at the higher price. Bidder A was "successful" on 2 of the 3 items they bid on.

Quote:
Also, why wasn't Bidder B, who bid $6 per item, not the successful bidder?

He/she was. They would be the HIGHEST successful bidder. But most people don't care about who paid the most.

The example they give is poor. Try is with 5 bidders.

If you have 10 identical items (let's say they are 9 volt batteries.) and you have bidders as follows:

Bidder A wants 4 and bids as much as $4 each
Bidder B wants 4 and bids as much as $3 each.
Bidder C wants 4 and bids as much as $2 each.
Bidder D wants 4 and bids as much as $1 each.
Bidder E wants 4 and bids as much as $.50 each.

The seller sells to the highest bidders so Bidder A and B both get their 4 batteries for a total of $16 and $12 respectively. There are only 2 batteries left at that point so they go to bidder C @ $2 each so that is $4.

A, B and C are the "successful bidders" since they are actually buying something.

Bidder C has the "lowest successful bid".

Bidders D and E lost the auction so they weren't successful.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:19 pm
OK, thanks. Now, one final issue...eBay states that all items are sold at the LOWEST successful bid.

In their example, Bidder B bought his 8 items for $5 each instead of the $6 he bid.

Doesn't it follow, then, that in your example, all bidders would pay just $2 each?

Thanks again,

General
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:21 pm
Yup. You are right. My error. All the successful bidders would pay the lowest successful bid amount. Good catch! Wink
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:26 pm
Yep... all those bidder pay the same $2 each. Now, if you wanted to get really confusing... say that Bidder C decides he doesn't want that partial quantity... then Bidder D could have at it, but would have to pay $2.

They reward whoever bids the most, but the amount paid goes to the actual amount bid for the last item sold.

Nobody has to pay for items if they wanted more than got... say you want a set of six goblets and only get three of them -- you can refuse the ones you're offered.

Clear as mud.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:46 pm
OK, here's another twist. I just won a dutch auction. Below are the results. I bid $15.50 for all three lots (three were available) at around noon PST. At 16:00 PST, another guy bid the same amount for one. I am the one listed as "Karoshi".

Now eBay didn't allow be to bid only $15 (the prev. winning bid) when I bid. Minimum had to be $15.50.

How did this other guy bid my same amount 4 hours later, yet still win one of my items?

Thanks again, everyone!

General Tsao

User ID Bid Amount Quantity wanted Quantity winning Date of bid

barryton ( 196) US $15.50 1 1 Nov-21-04 16:42:30 PST

karoshi286z ( 19) US $15.50 3 2 Nov-21-04 12:15:15 PST

4x4ever ( 114) US $15.00 3 0 Nov-21-04 05:05:39 PST

harney1998 ( 10) US $10.00 2 0 Nov-20-04 04:32:18 PST

bigmac425 ( 1 ) US $6.00 2 0 Nov-20-04 19:21:23 PST

frabroo ( 11) US $5.50 3 0 Nov-17-04 19:19:30 PST

ibidopcite ( 6 ) US $5.00 3 0 Nov-16-04 15:30:07 PST

Lowest successful bid is minimum bid amount. If you and another bidder placed the same bid amount, the earlier bid takes priority. Learn more about bidding.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:57 pm
He won one because he over-bid you.

If he bid $18 and said he only wanted one and you ended up being the 2nd sucessful bidder then he'd get the 1st one and you'd win the remaining 2. Since you had the "lowest successful bid" he pays the same price you do. E-Bay shows the winning bid amount, not his highest bid.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:58 pm
I dunno. That doesn't sound fair and I'd be bitching like crazy to eBay. Nothing like a good complaint to get the blood rushing through the veins.

Good Luck, General.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:02 pm
Man, that's all so confusing!

Everyone, thanks so much for your help! And it was quick, too!

Smile
Smile

General
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 03:48 pm
Update on Ebay dutch auction
OK, so the seller in this auction wrote to eBay to ask why I didn't win all three items. Following is his letter and eBay's response. You tell me if anyone really knows how these auctions operate!

--seller--
Message: I listed an item with a lot of 3. One bidder ordered a quantity
> of 3 at $15.50 each. A few hours LATER, another bidder placed a bid for
> a quantity of 1 at the same price ($15.50). When the auction closed, the
> first bidder won only 2 of the items; the later bidder got the 1 he bid
> on. Why didn't the first bidder get all 3 since the bid didn't go up and
> he bid first?

--eBay live response--
Thank you for writing to eBay with your concern. My name is Charmaine
> and I'd be happy to assist you with your selling concerns.
>
> With dutch/multiple item auctions there is no proxy bidding so because
> the other buyer bid first for all 3 of the items he would not get all 3
> if another person bid the same amount and wanted just 1.
>
> To find out more information on this please go to this link:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/buyer-multiple.html
>
> Again, thank you for writing to eBay, and thank you for being part of
> the eBay community. Have a great eBay day!
>
> Regards,
>
> Charmaine S.
> eBay Customer Support
0 Replies