Bye

Don1

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 05:34 pm
I have enjoyed my time on this site, but have reached the conclusion that because it is a predominately American site that there simply isn't enough stimulating debate for us Britside, for example if I told you that we had a tragedy the other day when Emlyn Hughes, one of our best loved sports stars died, you wouldn't know what I was talking about.

90% of the posts I cant comment on because It's internal USA stuff, and so I find myself clicking only on the riddles section, or trying to make the odd comment elsewhere.

God forbid you should think I was in any way being critical of you good people, believe me when I say I wish you all the very best.

Don Bradley.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,840 • Replies: 30
No top replies

George

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 05:39 pm
Cheers.
Look in on us now and again.
(Rest in Peace, Crazy Horse.)

~George
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 05:46 pm
Interesting review, Don.
Be well.

hmmmmm, just went to look at the top 5 posters (in terms of number of posts) - 1 australian, 2 canajuns, 1 banned american, and 1 american who only posts in trivia and word games

I'm thinking you could say more if you wanted, Don. But try the BBC Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy forum - it's more brit-oriented and interesting in its own way. (it's the website I've chosen to feature here )
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 05:48 pm
Sorry that you have decided to leave....I have enjoyed your posts. Stick your head in once in awhile, and say, "hello"! Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 06:56 pm
As a matter of record, Don. I adore talking and knowing about you Brits. We are cut from the same cloth, you know. We were just getting to know you, my friend.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 06:59 pm
Don't be hasty. A2K changes by degrees from time to time. Something ought, as Micawber says, "to turn up."
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:57 pm
We'll miss you, Don. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:49 pm
I will miss you too, Don1. Wish you wouldn't go. Please do stop in and say hello from time to time.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 09:11 pm
ehBeth wrote:
hmmmmm, just went to look at the top 5 posters (in terms of number of posts) - 1 australian, 2 canajuns, 1 banned american, and 1 american who only posts in trivia and word games)

Hmm, yeah, perhaps, Aussies, Canajuns, they post a lot its true - but you gotta admit, Don's right in a way, because what they post about is mostly American stuff - when it concerns news and politics in any case, for one. Simply because thats what the bulk of busy threads is about. Blatham, dlowan - they post more about America than about Canada or Australia, I think - just like I do have a Dutch thread or two, but more of my posts are on the US. The International News forum has many threads, but not many posts ... it can be a real bitch to rally interest for anything that doesnt have a related-to-US-politics angle. I sometimes actually sneak in a US reference into an international thread I start (for example, focusing a thread on AIDS on the relative merit of Bush's policies in the matter), just to make sure people actually take part. Its just a very US- (or North-America-, if you wish) centred board. Hey, I dont mind all too much, America is an interesting place. But basically Don's right, IMO.

Hope you'll find something more fitting somewhere else Don!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 09:54 pm
no, don't go

i'll talk about anything brittish you like, crisps, tea, the campaign for real ale, coronation street, crumpets, questionable dental work, fog, tesco's, marks and sparks, the list goes on
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 10:01 pm
You know something, nimh. I started a thread asking everyone to come in and talk about their native land. Not one person from another country commented. Sitting in the unanswered category is a bit of general news concerning the Tito regime.

Some young man asked a question about communism and an expert from Russia posted the most fascinating dissertation that I have ever read. The creator of the thread never came back to say one word of thanks for the contributions. It takes all of us...ALL of us to make it work. I am fascinated by Walter's pictures in the gallery, but I don't comment there because I can't comment on all of them, buts that's just me.

And that's my rant for the evening.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 10:38 pm
Mebbe, in the interest of seein' more Brit-centric stuff, Don1 might just start postin' a buncha Brit-centric stuff and see what happens.

Dunno ... I figure A2K, like most things, is what you make of it. Can't be lookin'for folks to do it all for ya, and do it your way. If you want it different, why not try to see what you can do to make it different. That's my take anyway.

But anyway, Don1 ... do whatchya figure ya gotta do. Its sure as hell nobody's call but your own.

If ya do decide ta go, I suspect all involved will be the poorer for it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 10:53 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Dunno ... I figure A2K, like most things, is what you make of it. Can't be lookin'for folks to do it all for ya, and do it your way. If you want it different, why not try to see what you can do to make it different. That's my take anyway.

Well, as someone who tried ... I can only say he's right, Timber. I mean, I gotta say, I got much more response to my Dutch politics threads than I ever thought I would. True. But, a) of course I'm mostly explaining stuff in them - like Don says, its not like people will just automatically get what the F you're talking about, cause ... well, they generally just dont know, and cant reasonably be expected to know. And b), though for some reason it worked for the Dutch threads, I have a bunch of other Europe-related threads (not EU, just things on/from different European countries) that almost as a rule sank. Until you slip in a reference on EU/US differences, or how the US government was somehow involved, or focus on some kind of UN/global order theme - then people flow in. But who gives a damn about the Ukraine, apparently?

Letty, Tito thread sounds interesting, but I cant find it back in "unanswered" - its not in international news either, I'll go look in history some time later, perhaps its there. As for the Russia thread, if you're talking about the one I think you're talking about, it was started by Mapleleaf a long time ago, and Mapleleaf isnt around here much anymore ...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 11:04 pm
You've got a point there nimh ... and I'll take my share of blame for validatin' your point. In fact, I kick myself in particular for not takin' advantage of your particular perspective to help me get a handle on the current situation re terrorism/islamists/jihadists/immigration etc in your neck of the woods. I really gotta get with that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 12:01 am
Well, I am always listening,and I have liked Don's posts.
I am sorry if you leave, Don.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:13 am
Letty wrote:

The creator of the thread never came back to say one word of thanks for the contributions.

seems they just did it at random. Mad
But also it is inevitable for a forum which has a member growth of a hundred per day :wink:
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:02 am
Don1,

In many ways you are correct and I am sad because of that. I really don't post to threads that I know nothing about and it is not my unwillingness to learn, but simply that I have been lazy and haven't taken the time.

I will admit, I was a bit discouraged when I first joined here. Everyone seemed to know everyone else and I can't even begin to tell you how many threads ended with my posts....30 I think by now and I have only been around just more than a month.

Granted, I am from America. But I rarely do politics or religion. Daddy told me to try to stay away from those areas with your friends. Smile

If I have been too wrapped up in my own self to ignore you, I sincerely apologize and do wish you would stick around....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:17 am
Hmmm - I keep sorta plugging away re Oz and other country stuff - it pays to have a thick skin, eh? I mean, it IS a largely American site - and I guess Americocentrism goes with the territory.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:34 am
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm - I keep sorta plugging away re Oz and other country stuff - it pays to have a thick skin, eh? I mean, it IS a largely American site - and I guess Americocentrism goes with the territory.

I was once crazy, head over heals for an Aussie! He read me Lord of the Rings outloud every night before bed! I have a fondness for Australia that goes deep to my heart and I have never been there. What sweet memories.

I will promise you this...I will try to stay as connected to Oz through you as I possibly can. I'll read anything and everything you want post about Oz. I love your posts anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem. Smile
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:35 am
Ya'll keep such strange hours though! :wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Bye
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 01:45:56