Catastrophic fire near Coimbra (my home city)

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 06:57 am
Catastrophic day for Portugal. The fire death count is already up to 62...

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 426 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 07:01 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I read a small part about this earlier this a.m. Truly a sad and tragic situation.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 07:03 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 07:06 am
I've been reading about this. Terrible situation.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 07:34 am
@Sturgis,
Thank you Sturgis, I am at a loss of words right now. I don't know what else to say...Coimbra is under a dark cloud of smoke this morning. New lergislation will have to be passed in the parlament to clean the forest around small villages with heavy fines for those who do not comply. Something has to be done to prevent the absolutely stupid mindless situation we found ourselves in. Eucaliptos tree plantation needs to be probited once and for all!
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 07:40 am
Prime Minister car goes through cut road in the fire area.

President of the Portuguese Republic visible emotional with the unfolding of the events!

Fire keeps crossing cut roads...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 09:21 am
Fire update now with translation.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 09:28 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Yeah, Eucs can be quite a problem, not only for their ability to flame up, but for the massing of debris around the bases of the trees... which can be a big problem.
Much sympathy from me to all of you going through this.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 10:14 am
My symphaty - it is so sad with these fires.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 10:34 am
I was horrified to hear about this last night and have been following the news on it. Several of my IRL friends have family there - I didn't realize you were there/near there.

As I listened to the reports, my very early memories of spoken Portuguese came back a bit. The only upside (to me) was realizing I had not lost that completely.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 05:08 pm
Fil, report when you get time or the energy...
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2017 05:42 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Not to punch myself into this, but we have had some horrendo fires in California. I've not been on the frontline, but given my job, studied fire and what to do for property protection over a bunch of years.

Closest I came was to a client's place - she called me horrified. She had a large property above the Malibu coast; the fire debris covered almost every place I could see.. a lot of land. I was scared enough to go to her house, since the roads had no railings next to sheer cliffs, but once I got there, I was dumbfounded.

Her house had been saved, not, that I remember, from firefighters, but from her very large planting of 'Sister Agnes' Nerium oleander, where the fire stopped - that is the most vigorous oleander. That oleander was already fully grown there..
I'm remembering now, she was a writer about manatees who was in italian classes with me, thus the call re what to do..

Years earlier, when I went to a local college before university, the Bel Air Fire showed up. It came about a block from Sunset Boulevard, which was 3 blocks from our (my parents') house. Given that area's combination of fragility and wealth (no, not us, long story re wealth), the LA Fire Department, and probably other fire departments, were out there fast.

Scary ****. I still remember a lecture and booklet by a fire department guy named Klaus Radke.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Catastrophic fire near Coimbra (my home city)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 04:41:38