air-flown

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 07:51 am
Is "air-flown" used by native speakers? For example, air-flown chicken exported to other countries.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 260 • Replies: 7
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 08:10 am
No. Never heard or seen it. The phrase (or compound word) is awkward, since if it travelled by air, it must necessarily have been flown, giving rise to redundancy.

tanguatlay

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 09:16 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

No. Never heard or seen it. The phrase (or compound word) is awkward, since if it travelled by air, it must necessarily have been flown, giving rise to redundancy.

Thanks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 09:18 am
@tanguatlay,
What is it supposed to express?
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 09:22 am
I think it describes poultry (live or dead, not sure) being air freighted to other countries than where they were reared. Here in Europe we get Egyptian new potatoes and Kenyan asparagus. Green people don't like it because of 'air miles'.
centrox

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 11:54 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
Is "air-flown" used by native speakers? For example, air-flown chicken exported to other countries.

Air-freighted or air freighted or airfreighted maybe. Examples:
Quote:
Stop Flying Fish and Fruit – Don’t Buy Air-Freighted Food

As a rule, any food that travels by airplane is going to be a high-carbon choice. Something that is air freighted emits greenhouse gases up to 30 times more than that of food shipped by boat from the same point on the globe. You may not realize it when shopping at your local grocery store, but quite a few common foods come with a high climate price tag.

Quote:
Airfreight of food

Sustain helps to facilitate discussions and policy development on sustainable food issues that can be complex to navigate and need input from a wide range of people and organisations. During 2006 and 2007, airfreight of food became a particularly controversial topic, so Sustain played a role in bringing together trade bodies, government and non-governmental organisations together to discuss the issues.

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 11:56 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
I think it describes poultry (live or dead, not sure) being air freighted to other countries than where they were reared. Here in Europe we get Egyptian new potatoes and Kenyan asparagus. Green people don't like it because of 'air miles'.

I meant to write 'food miles'.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 08:37 pm
Where I live, the uncooked food which is sent by air has a label, which reads 'Air-flown". This is to give the impression that it is fresh because it is sent to the supermarket by air, not by ship.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » air-flown
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.32 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 04:25:46