True crime

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 10:48 pm
Anyone read true crime books?

I don't, I don't like getting creeped out.

However, I've noticed that there is a type of crime story that interests me, this type:

CNN story

A few months back, I saw a similar article about a guy whose sister had been murdered by the parents decades earlier.

I think what fascinates me about these cases is how the witnesses had to deal with what happened.

Are there any true crime books about cases such as these?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,312 • Replies: 10
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:34 pm
I'm not that familiar with true crime books but I do remember a true crime stroy from a few years back where a young girl saw her father murder her friend. There was something about a ring that got her remembering again and she turned her father in. He was tried and went to prison. Sorry I can't really remember any of the names or details.

I'd assume there was a book written about it but I have no idea what it might have been called.

I know there was a book written about the Oregon/Southwest Washington guy who kidnapped a girl and kept her in his basement with his wife's consent. The man convinced them that she had been sold to him. After many years they allowed her to go out and get a job and she returned every night to live in a cubby under the man and wife's waterbed.

There were also those nuts up in Canada where the boyfriend killed (and video taped the murder) of his girlfriend's little sister while the girl friend watched.

In these last two I don't remember if it was the witness' that turned in the kidnapper/murder or if they were caught some other way.

I'm awfully sketchy on the details, aren't I? Perhaps someone can come along and fill in the blanks.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:42 pm
Oh how could I forget -- there isn't a book about this yet but I'm sure there will be soon.

Ward Weaver III son turned him in for murdering two pre-teen girls after his father tried to rape his girlfriend. He just plead guilty last month or so.

Ward Weaver's own father is serving a life sentence in California for a very similar crime.

This morning's paper reported that WW's son was arrested this week for .... home invasion burgulary...?
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:06 am
boomerang wrote:
I'm not that familiar with true crime books but I do remember a true crime stroy from a few years back where a young girl saw her father murder her friend. There was something about a ring that got her remembering again and she turned her father in. He was tried and went to prison. Sorry I can't really remember any of the names or details.

This sounds like the first story from Lenore Terr's 'Unchained Memories'; you can read it on Amazon

Quote:

I know there was a book written about the Oregon/Southwest Washington guy who kidnapped a girl and kept her in his basement with his wife's consent. The man convinced them that she had been sold to him. After many years they allowed her to go out and get a job and she returned every night to live in a cubby under the man and wife's waterbed.

Ugh! That's why I don't read that stuff...
Quote:

There were also those nuts up in Canada where the boyfriend killed (and video taped the murder) of his girlfriend's little sister while the girl friend watched.

That was the 'Homolka case'. That one was extremely creepy. I think they were just caught by police (???) There are people who actually think the 'public' has a right to have access to the videos (there were several victims). (!)

Yup, these things make me ill.

I'd lilke to read all of Terr's book, but I'm not sure I can stomach it. On the other hand, I really want to know more about how people deal with trauma.

Thanks for your reply, boomerang.
0 Replies

mujimbo

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:58 am
Girl Trouble, best true crime book of the year
if you want a great true crime read with an amazing story, an edge of intellectual insight, and no gore, check out "Girl Trouble," by christopher mcdougall. it tells the hard-to-believe tale of gloria trevi, the latin pop princess who suddenly vanished with her sinister manager and 10 backup singers. the writer is a new york times reporter who interviewed trevi and her manager behind bars. it's a really great read.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060536624/ref%3Dpd%5Fecc%5Frvi%5F1/102-0337377-0785746
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:39 pm
I don't know why I didn't think of these two before, I suppose I consider them to be memoirs but a crime plays a very central in both:

"Shot in the Heart" by Mikal Gilmore about his brother, Gary Gilmore.
http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guides/shot_in_the_heart.asp

and

"A Rip in Heaven": http://www.thecurrentonline.com/news/2004/06/07/ArtsAndEntertainment/a.Rip.In.Heaven.Recounts.St.Louis.Rape.Murder-684786.shtml

Both of these books are something you might like. They deal with crime but really deal more with the after-effects.
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:53 pm
Re: Girl Trouble, best true crime book of the year
mujimbo wrote:
if you want a great true crime read with an amazing story, an edge of intellectual insight, and no gore, check out "Girl Trouble," by christopher mcdougall. it tells the hard-to-believe tale of gloria trevi, the latin pop princess who suddenly vanished with her sinister manager and 10 backup singers. the writer is a new york times reporter who interviewed trevi and her manager behind bars. it's a really great read.

You mention 'no gore' - but sometimes I think psychological gore bothers me more than the blood and guts kind.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
0 Replies

laqo

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:52 pm
Ann Rule writes alot of true crime books. I've read a couple, she's pretty ok.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:55 pm
While "Under the Banner of Heaven" has more to it than a true crime story, that part of the book is quite compelling. It's by Jon Krakauer.

And let's not forget two excellent books on the Manson clan: "The Family" by Ed Sanders, and "Helter Skelter" by Vincent Bugliosi.
0 Replies

maya

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:51 am
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote set the standard for all true crime
0 Replies

bogdantoma

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 01:57 am
Re: True crime
primergray wrote:
Are there any true crime books about cases such as these?

You can get such books from Mystery Guild Book Club.

Mystery Guild Book Club offers discount mystery books including murder mysteries, detective fiction, thriller books, crime novels and true crime books from best selling mystery authors.
0 Replies