Best Live Acts...

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 09:28 am
what are some of yalls favorite live acts?
my favorite band to see live is Go Betty Go, by far
then i'd be a tie between NOFX, Bad Religion, The Casualties, or Alkaline trio
with big d and the kids table comin up in third tied with the toasters, avoid one thing, and flogging molly
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 939 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 09:36 am
The best band I've seen live were Rage Against The Machine, but that was back in '93. As for 'modern' bands I'm not sure.

One artist I'd like to see before he dies is the Godfather of Soul, His Bad Self, James Brown.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 09:51 am
The best concert I've gone to in a long time was Peter Gabriels last tour. Every song had it's own visual component, an idea seperate from the last. I think the man is brilliant.

Saw Annie lennox a few weeks ago, she blew my socks off. The whitest black chick ever. She was on tour with Sting, but his show was like a polished vegas act. Good, but not inspiring.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 09:54 am
Dave era Van Halen...Yes....Kiss..ELP.....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:04 am
Sarah McLaughlin.
She is the best in concert. Absolutely angelic voice.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:10 am
I forgot the mighty mighty Priest...please forgive me Metal Gods....
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:12 am
I saw a Superchunk and Wedding Present show that absolutely ROCKED.

Pegboy was always good too. i remember one show where the club tried to limit the crowds activities. They handed out little pamphlets at the door stating, "No stage diving. No Moshing. No Body Surfing... blah blah blah." the crowd for the most part followed the rules during the opening acts. Then Pegboy comes out. Sets up. The lead signer picks up one of the pamphlets and says "See this?... F*** This S**T." then tears it up, grabs the mic and leaps into the crowd as the band began to rock. The place erupted. It was a good time.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:20 am
My absolute favourite concert had to be Martin Sexton, from Boston. It was akin to a religious experience. One man, one guitar and talent beyond reckoning. If anyone gets a chance to see the guy, do it. He's beyond amazing.
0 Replies

ReiKi

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:40 pm
Oh...

TOOL / A Perfect Circle and The Mars Volta eeeeasily take the cake for me!

What can I say? Each live experience was nothing short of an orgasmic rush of my musical senses! - see them and you'll understand why Smile
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 06:40 pm
tom waits
stevie ray vaughn
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 08:00 am
I agreen Grand Duke, I saw Rage Against the Machine at the Reading Festival, 1999 I think it was. They were by far the best I've seen, even though it was a short set.

More recently I've seen the Fun Loving Criminals (when they were touring following the release of the album "loco") and that gig has to be one of my favorites, a very small venue in Plymouth, and they did a number of their clasic tracks as opposed to just the new stuff.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 08:17 am
Hi Kedge. Funnily enough, I saw them twice in 1993 - at the Newcastle Mayfair nightclub, supported by Tool and Wool, and again later that year at the Reading Festival!

Two things I remember most (apart from being in a room with 700 drunken sweaty Geordies screaming "F*ck you I won't do what you tell me!" and jumping up and down) was that the kick drum was so loud it was like being punched in the chest, and that the drummer sat facing backwards with a mirror so he could see the crowd. A fine band.

And I'd've liked to have seen FLC, but haven't they split up now?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 08:10 pm
Morphine and the original Whitlams (before two thirds of them died)
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:09 am
I hope the FLC's haven't broken up Sad I love their, chilled out layed back music.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:40 pm
Pantera
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:54 pm
~Rei+Ki ~ wrote:
Oh...

TOOL / A Perfect Circle and The Mars Volta eeeeasily take the cake for me!

What can I say? Each live experience was nothing short of an orgasmic rush of my musical senses! - see them and you'll understand why Smile

I agree. I've seen a ton of shows, and while there have some damn good ones, Tool played the tightest, most intense set I've seen. I'll edge the Tool shows over A Perfect Circle...Tool's drummer may be the best in rock right now. His drum kit is enormous.

It wasn't just the "show" part of it, although that was great: very strange graphics in the back that bounced around perfectly to the music, contortionists coming out on stage, but just how damn tight they play. It's absolutely insane. Nobody's touched them, IMO, when it comes to that. So much talent in that band.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 11:39 am
in the 70's, The Who was the best live band around...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 04:17 pm
They still put on a great show. Seen them a couple times over the last few years. One of the shows had more energy from the crowd and stage than most concerts I've been to.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 04:32 pm
yeah, we saw them in '97 and '02 at greatwoods.

i also got to see them in '79 at MSG, and '82 at shea stadium...
0 Replies