For people whose yards are not just sandy, but sand, a question

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 02:41 pm
I've been responsible for the design of a lot of yards in my time, ordinary to fancypants, but that was all back in California. Now I've lived in a new place for a while, Albuquerque, and I might as well have a shack on the beach, without the ocean. When I moved here, and still, just about any yard I saw here, at least in my area, was covered with black plastic with rocks covering the plastic, to thwart weeds, some planting allowed rather sparely through the plastic.

Being me, I revolted, I want water, from whatever rain shows up, and it's not much here, to seep down to whatever aquifer, or add a bit of help if any.. We're not far from Rio Grande. Maybe I've been doing good, or doing stupid. Maybe the land sloping toward the river gains from my rain or, probably, it's irrelevant, given everybody else uses black plastic and stones, or, maybe the housing area didn't matter anyway.

I'm less able now, which is why I am even considering.
Maybe they are all right, I should plasticize.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 298 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 02:51 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I have always thought rabbit bush would make a nice addition to NW New Mexico yards. That's the stuff that grows along the highways and has massive clumps of tiny yellow flowers in the fall. I understand there is also a dwarf variety. Fortunately, it probably looks best if it's never trimmed. Also, it doesn't seem fussy about it's environment.

It would look good in a corner of the yard, but that still doesn't fill the yard - unless you just want it to.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 03:17 pm
@roger,
I gotta look up the latin name, which I now (of course) forget.
I'll resist guessing.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » For people whose yards are not just sandy, but sand, a question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:31:40