Joe Nation has an AhHa moment. And You, how about you?

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:17 pm
Oh my god..... it was George.!!!! I've just sullied the image of a modern saint. Or did I surrey it down

to a stone soul picnic...........
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:19 pm
I should talk to Paulaj about having your bastid rating dropped because of your good work with the aged and the stoned.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:26 pm
I like the band Piebald, so I was prompted to look up the definition a while back.

I am the oldest person at their concerts, other than them, of course.

Not really an AhHa moment, but I post what I want!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:51 am
Wouldn't you have liked to have been there when they were trying to decide on a name and came up with Piebald?.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:45 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Wouldn't you have liked to have been there when they were trying to decide on a name and came up with Piebald?.

Jeez...are you back on that "naming bands" kick? Didn't we just go through that?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 01:47 pm
Joe Nation wrote:

Hehe. Laughing

I realized today, for the first time, that Jimmy Eat World, a semi-decent band, quoted They Might Be Giants, a very awesome band, in the bridge of the second (album) version of "Praise Chorus."

Crimson and clover, over and over.
Our house in the middle of the street, why did we ever meet?
Started my rock 'n roll fantasy.
Don't don't, don't let's start, why did we ever part?
Kick start my rock 'n rollen heart.

I knew the other songs that were quoted, but for some reason, I never understood what Jimmy Eat World was singing during the brief half-line containing the lines to the TMBG song (indicated by me in bold). Well, now, years after first hearing "Praise Chorus" and many years after first hearing "Don't Let's Start," I have had an AhHa moment.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 02:09 pm
I'd like to have an "A-ha" moment one of these days.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 02:22 pm
They are all around you, Piffka; just look!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 02:39 pm
I had an ahha moment taken away from me once. Here's the story: I was driving my red VW from the flats of Texas to the gray hills of Connecticut in the early 70's. Somewhere on I-70 there was a split in the highway and the roadsign said :

Buffalo
Springfield

I said aha so that's where they got the name, Ol' Neil and Steven were cruising here and found their way and ......

zoom forward to sometime last year.
My wife and I are in bed, watching tv, what do you think -- we're married-- anyway we are watching this biography show about Neil Young --- friggen genius, you know, and they are getting to the part where he and Steven Stills hook up and become The Buffalo Springfield Stampede, so I turn to my wife and I say:
"I wonder if they are going to tell the part about how they got the name for the band. I saw that road sign once."
"What road sign?" she says arching her eyes archly "I thought they were named after a steamroller."

Now, I should note here that my wife has an encyclopediatic memory for popular culture. Wanna know what color dress some actress was wearing at the Oscars ten years ago?? Let me know, I'll ask. So when she says this, my faith in both my memory and my ah ha moment are shaken, but of course, that doesn't stop me.

"I saw the sign. I think it's on I-70, it says Buffalo Springfield and I think..."

But before I could get the words out of my mouth the announcer is burbling the fateful words:
" Los Angeles construction site....steamroller...Buffalo Springfield...."

===
I have looked in vain for a place on that highway, poring over Mapquest, looking for an intersection near St. Louis maybe or was it just outside of Indianapolis.....

....nah the moment is gone,,,,,,,,, steamrolled.

Joe Nation

Oh and here they are Buffalo Springfield, were we ever that Young.
Buffalo Springfield
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:30 pm
My "AHA" moment?

When I read that Nebraska hat a voter turnout of 139 %
http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/geschockt/w00t.gif
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 03:56 pm
Some years ago I was sitting on a park bench in a little western town waiting for a bus. I'd had a complicated day and was letting my mind wander.

A blind man joined me on the bus and asked me what was on the bill at the movie theatre behind us. As I said, my mind was wandering, so my immediately spoken reaction was to ask, "How do you know there is a movie theatre nearby?"

He said, "Because of the smell of popcorn."

I realized the smell of popcorn was prompting my memory of circuses.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:31 pm
smog wrote:
Our house in the middle of the street, why did we ever meet?
Started my rock 'n roll fantasy.
Don't don't, don't let's start, why did we ever part?
Kick start my rock 'n rollen heart.

Joe Nation was in there but I lost possession of the quotes - I just wanted to quickly remark that that is one of my most hated songs of all time. Quiver....
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:48 pm
Sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:43 pm
Yeh, but you're okay, smog, it's the song I hate...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:47 am
Noddy, your park bench story is a wonder, it's about how people experience the world, how senses lead us, lead us forward and lead us into memories. thank you.

Joe
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:59 am
Another wonder of the world is how a song can be a engine of memory making for one person - ah yes, that was when Chachi showed me how to really slowdance- and like driving a spike through the left ear for another.

There's a song currently on the oldies station - don't ask me which song, my jukebox brain will start playing four and half bars of it for the next four hours- when this song starts I think, "Oh here's one I like", but later, just moments later, I remember it's the one where the singer holds the note for an eternity which drives me crazy for absolutely no good reason, and I have to run across the store and turn the radio to another station. Then I am safe from IT for awhile.

Joe
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 10:22 am
There is some music I really enjoy but most just stays on my periphery. For a while I wondered why every time "Heard It Through the Grapevine" came on it sounded a little different. Then someone said "Boy, I hate the Creedence Clearwater Revival version of that. No reason to redo a Marvin Gaye song."

AhHA!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 11:38 am
Any minute now we'll be into Proust and his madeleines--which I confuse with macaroons. Macarrons are tangled in my mind with a production of Edna St. Vincent Millay's Aria da Capo which opens with Columbine insisting that she cannot live without a macaroon.

Columbine, of course, comes with its own emotional freight....

....and snatch one loose end, another verbal tag...."man's inhumanity to man"....

Sometimes I wonder how people without a literary rag bag view the world around them.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 12:21 pm
I am going to remember Noddy's story for a long time, too.

Joe, your seeing the difference in people's perception of a song reminded me of an "A-ha" I had one day realizing the potential of a photograph. For one it is a beautiful moment, for another (or maybe that same person later in life), the worst thing in the world.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 06:26 am
The world's in constant motion
nothing stays in place
a word, a scene, a photograph
the memory of a face,
flowing on nucleic streams
a sweeping psi-curve wending,
on outward towards infinity
we'll never the ending.

Joe (just now) Nation
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:33:56