anti virus..is that real?

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 03:20 am
The keyboard and my mouse were hanging every time I started my computer.I tried to fix it myself but I couldn't figure out how.So, I took it to a computer technician .He immediately removed yahoo messenger and when I said why ?, he said that it's that major trouble for things like these.But, it turned out that the messenger was innocent Sad .The problem was with the keyboard which I changed.When I asked about how can I protect my computer and that I started not to believe in anti virus.He smiled and said , " you don't have to install it , it's not worthy the trouble ".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 855 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Don77

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 05:21 am
If I m reading that right he told you its not worth the trouble to have an Anti Virus ?
If thats the case,
He is either looking for return business from you, or you simply need to find a new computer tech to watch over your computer,
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 05:55 am
Anyone who does not use a virus scanner on a computer, is looking for problems, big time. I think that someone needs to sue that tech for malpractice! Laughing

P.S. It is NO BIG DEAL to install a virus scan!!!!!
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:26 am
He recommended an alternative for anti virus which I can't really remember now.What do you think of yahoo messenger ?.Could it be possible that it might be of troubles sometimes.

Thank you Don.Thanks for the advice ,Phoenix.

By the way, I have your avatar

Very Happy
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 09:23 am
Quote:
He recommended an alternative for anti virus which I can't really remember now.

I m curious as to what that could be,,

I have yahoo messenger and use it quite a bit, no problems with it,

I also have an Anti Virus, SpywareGaurd and spywareBlaster, for added protection,
Ad-aware, Spybot,
Can never be too safe,

Quote:
Anyone who does not use a virus scanner on a computer, is looking for problems, big time

That pretty much says it all,
Along wih making sure Windows is updated,
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 09:28 am
Don77- I have the Norton anti-virus, with auto-protect, which automatically loads any updates. My understanding is that Norton updates once a week, and sooner, if the patch is critical.

I have started to make it a practice to check "Live Update" every day when I first get onto my computer. Often, there is an update that might not have automatically been updated in my computer yet. It only takes a few seconds.

As I have always said, "Paranoia CAN be adaptive"........................... Laughing
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:33 am
You are right .I guess I will go back and have one of those programmes.

Thanks for help
0 Replies

roobarb

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:07 am
at a minumum you need an anti virus, I much prefer Norton to McCaffee or any of the others - and that definiately includes the free anti-virus software you can get. I also run a firewall (again Norton) on my system as well as a spyware trapper. If you want to loose everything feel free not to install this stuff, but if you want to remain using the internet, and not having people lynch you for trying to infect their systems when your address book is hijacked then you need to go shopping NOW - as for your technician, I would actively consider murder if I ever met him on the street.
0 Replies