Mother Teresa was not a saint!

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 08:40 am
Mother Teresa was not a saint! She helped people die, not treat them to live or free them from poverty.

coluber2001

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 09:04 am
Ambrose bierce's definition of a saint from his "Devil's dictionary":
"Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited."
farmerman

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 12:00 pm
@coluber2001,
anyway-she always asked her audiences to pray for her the sinner. my mom and aunt actually were in an audience at chestohova(sp) (The shrine north of Philly, not the real one)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 01:29 pm
Thing is, you could tear into the life and character of virtually everyone. I never thought she was a saint, but if her example helps anybody in life I am for letting the myth sustain.
farmerman

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 03:58 pm
@Alan McDougall,
People make people saints. Its like a medal of really good conduct conferred by a committee of church bishops and signed off by the Pope.
Theres a process involving a "devils advocate" and a buncha other ****.
Having been raised Catholic , Orthodox, and Jewish, I see no differences between Catholic Bullshit and the others, including your attempted Evangelical Piety.

Get over the "god" thing. We all die n thats it. POOOF no more you and me. (Except by the DNA we leave behind). Thats our immortality.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 01:33 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Thing is, you could tear into the life and character of virtually everyone.

True, but there are some particularly nasty skeletons in MT's closet. She was into quantity, not quality care, most of her shelters afforded people little more than a space on the floor. She liked to cosy up to odious dictators like Baby Doc Duvalier and she thought the twin evils facing the World today were abortion, and birth control.

Overall I think she was quite repulsive.

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 02:41 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Thing is, you could tear into the life and character of virtually everyone.

True, but there are some particularly nasty skeletons in MT's closet. She was into quantity, not quality care, most of her shelters afforded people little more than a space on the floor. She liked to cosy up to odious dictators like Baby Doc Duvalier and she thought the twin evils facing the World today were abortion, and birth control.

Overall I think she was quite repulsive.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJG-lgmPvYA[/youtube]

Thanks for a great post which clearly shows mother Teresa in a true light.

She said one time that condoms were more dangerous and are more evil than AIDS. If she had her way she would strip woman of their right to chose what is happening in their own bodies.

The Brilliant late Christopher Hitchens destroyed the myth around her and even called her "The angel of death"
farmerman

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 04:09 am
@Alan McDougall,
Hitchens was satisfactorily debunked regarding Sr Teresa. Its an exmple of how pople, of little knpwledge ove to perp these silly conspiracies.
Im ab atheist yet its possible to read the Vatican Accounting offices own independent (outside) audits of Sr Teresa that was conducted during her beatification process.

Sometimes we atheists go way too far by disposing of facts and evidence.

To me,McDougall is just another one of those Evangelical douche bags who sees Christianity in a very limited range. Hes been printing his bile via his" fake" piety . His concept of a God seems more a self directed crusade to ridicule folks who dont believe in his silly theology..
Dont get me wrong, I think most theologies are silly( they are based not upon facts but fears), but whenever this far right wackadoo begins criticizing those of other different (but genetically related)"Christian cults", its a prfect demonstration of how religions are busy fighting each other rather than doing good.

Catholics have sex scandals in their clergy, but In the US, so do the Charismatic Christians. Our newspaqpers are full of weekly reports of ministers embuggering their child wards and using their positions to force underage girls to have sex.
Theres where you ought to be focuing , rather than make up spome BS about a dead pietist nun who visibly raised thousands out of deepest poverty and poverty derived illness.
Its easy to make up **** about the dead and Im never surprised at how quickly its done. WHy? Because you can.
SCuse me if I call you out on what you are

izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 04:57 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Hitchens was satisfactorily debunked regarding Sr Teresa.

Sez you. You get very upset when other people don't post links to back up their claims. I've only found stuff reinforcing Hitchens' claims.

Quote:
In 1991, Robin Fox, editor of the British medical journal The Lancet visited the Home for Dying Destitutes in Calcutta (now Kolkata) and described the medical care the patients received as "haphazard". He observed that sisters and volunteers, some of whom had no medical knowledge, had to make decisions about patient care, because of the lack of doctors in the hospice. Fox specifically held Teresa responsible for conditions in this home, and observed that her order did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients, so that people who could otherwise survive would be at risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment.

Fox conceded that the regimen he observed included cleanliness, the tending of wounds and sores, and kindness, but he noted that the sisters' approach to managing pain was "disturbingly lacking". The formulary at the facility Fox visited lacked strong analgesics which he felt clearly separated Mother Teresa's approach from the hospice movement. Fox also wrote that needles were rinsed with warm water, which left them inadequately sterilised, and the facility did not isolate patients with tuberculosis. There have been a series of other reports documenting inattention to medical care in the order's facilities. Similar points of view have also been expressed by some former volunteers who worked for Teresa's order. Mother Teresa herself referred to the facilities as "Houses of the Dying".

In 2013, in a comprehensive review covering 96% of the literature on Mother Teresa, a group of Université de Montréal academics reinforced the foregoing criticism, detailing, among other issues, the missionary's practice of "caring for the sick by glorifying their suffering instead of relieving it, … her questionable political contacts, her suspicious management of the enormous sums of money she received, and her overly dogmatic views regarding, in particular, abortion, contraception, and divorce". Questioning the Vatican's motivations for ignoring the mass of criticism, the study concluded that Mother Teresa's "hallowed image—which does not stand up to analysis of the facts—was constructed, and that her beatification was orchestrated by an effective media relations campaign" engineered by the Catholic convert and anti-abortion BBC journalist Malcolm Muggeridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa
Olivier5

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 05:56 am
I am certain that all those criticizing Mother Teresa have spent decades trying to help the poor and curing the sick themselves, which now gives them the moral credibility to poke holes in her aureole.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 06:37 am
And nobody should criticise Donald Trump unless they too have served as President of the United States.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 06:54 am
@izzythepush,
You can criticize anyone you please, but don't assume that you have much credibility as a armchair general criticizing real soldiers, as a couch potatoe criticizing a football team, or as a petit bourgeois criticizing Mother Teresa from the confort of your home.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 07:12 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Im ab atheist

Sometimes we atheists go way too far by disposing of facts and evidence.

No you're someone brought up as a Catholic, brought up to respect Catholic icons and the institution of the Catholic church.

Dara O'Briain says it best.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 07:36 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:

Mother Teresa was not a saint! She helped people die, not treat them to live or free them from poverty.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
So? She died 20 years ago. You holding a particular grudge against her or... better yet the inactive ghost of Mother Teresa for that long... because?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 07:43 am
@izzythepush,
actually your biased opinions mean very little in the world of ideas.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 07:50 am
@izzythepush,
Laughing I remember (being raised as a catlick) the first time standing amongst Protestants and falling awkwardly silent as they continued on with the Lords Prayer, causing me to have an existential crisis.
farmerman

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 07:52 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You get very upset when other people don't post links to back up their claims. I've only found stuff reinforcing Hitchens' claims.
Im not going to spend ANY time going back nd forth on an issue thats almost a quarter century old. Whatever you and McDougall have stuck up your asses, I can only wish you get some medication for it. READ Bill Donahue's book on the very subject. Im satisfied that our local library had a copy. (I found out that it, among severl others, were donations from the Southern BAPTIST Synod,(not the Catholic Church or some Unitarian or Quaker group)

My atheism is a personal avoidance of ANY GODS, not a nitpicking at any one. People need something to believe in? Fine, just dont look to me for comfort, support, or discussion of theology.
In the same token, someone who sacrifices most of her life to serve others and whose been scrutinized carefully, deserves something other than lotsa BS from those whove got a feeling that atheism is a movement worthy of proselytizing.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 10:54 am
@farmerman,
You just don't want to hear the truth about someone you were told to venerate as a kid. You can't argue against the charges put so you dismiss them. Baptists are not usually a reliable source, I'm surprised you use them so readily. And I don't think the president of the Catholic League is unbiased.

Did she sacrifice her life to serve others or to build up her own myth? On this issue you sound a bit like Gungasnake, you can't disprove any of it so you sneer and insult.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 10:57 am
@chai2,
Interesting that the protestant bit is the title of Greene's novel about a Catholic whisky priest in Mexico.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 10:57 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy?
YO MAMA WAS A SAINT!
https://scififantasylitchick.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/mic-drop.gif
#sickburn!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mother Teresa was not a saint!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 05:23:42