Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 12:21 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
hominem

Sed homo non est.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 12:25 pm
I googled the first school I attended, Calwa Elementary, next to Fresno, CA. It still looks the same, except possibly they added a building or two. Amazing, since I enrolled in 1948. On the corner, where the drugstore was, there is a Mexican restaurant, adjoined to a barber shop. It looks as though it could be the same building. Amazing.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5JxsGe33YoJfCej2DFFH61qVB2khmzWFWt2PFJaJ68H8xtbqklw
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 07:41 pm
I was a product of the Korean war furlough system. I was born in late 1950 so I recall the 50'swith the ears and eyes of a kid who believed everything he saw on TV.
I was about 8 or 9 when I discovered late night across the US radio. Id have a "clock radio" next to my bed and I ws allowed to listen to Gene Shepherd or "inner Sanctum" or "X Radio".
I remember the very line that Bill Cosby made up that perfectly described my entertinment desires

"SCARE ME TO DEATH YEEEHHHH"
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 08:01 pm
@farmerman,
I could listen to Inner Sanctum and the like - no problem. But the commercial "Bromo Seltzer, Bromo seltzer, Bromo Seltzer," had me hiding my head under the blanket.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 08:08 pm
http://i.imgur.com/5OYSqV7.jpg
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 11:23 pm
Looking back on any time period is going to reveal bad stuff. However, I was a child in the fifties and wasn't aware of most of the bad stuff. So I'm talking about memories, not history.

What I do remember of bad stuff was take cover drills. While the students were sitting around minding our own business, the teacher would yell, "Take cover." Students had to instantly drop to the floor and kneel under their desks with their heads facing away from the window. What were we taking cover from? The threat of nuclear bombs. Would facing away from the window protect us? Don't get technical with details.

I loved my ball bearing roller skates. The noise. The speed. The vibrations from riding over rough sidewalk.

I liked my hula hoop.

We were the first family in our tenement to have a television. The first antenna on the roof.

Roger, I remember the commercials vividly. I also remember Howdy Doody. Speaking of commercials, Chiquita Banana told us not to put bananas in the refrigerator. I followed this rule for years.
roger

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 11:30 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I loved my ball bearing roller skates. The noise. The speed. The vibrations from riding over rough sidewalk.

Still got that skate key - just in case?
Roberta

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 02:20 am
@roger,
roger, You have one hell of a memory. Yes, I still have my skate key.
farmerman

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 03:59 am
@farmerman,
There were local grocery stores that served up little bits of everything you needed to survive when your household had only one car. When I was a fourth grader,it was still the late fifties, and my mom would send me to Rohbackers Grocery Store, on my fat wheel Columbia bike to buy stuff we needed every day.Whenever Id go to the store, I would be given a dime or a quarter to get some candy or , in the summer, ice cream.
Id go nuts for those coconut candy strips that were pink, white and choolate striped.. Ice Cream SAmmiches were usually a quarter and the coconut candy strips were a penny a piece. I recall that the candy case was a huge glass fronted case with a wooden top where the Rohbqachers would display chewing gums and bubble gum cards in penny packs or nickel packs.
Mr Rohbacker had a big Chevy Nomad station wagon in which he would have the butcher deliver your order. This happened every afternoon just after school.
Every week, Mr Rohbacker would use his nomad to deliver big cans of Potato Chips. I think the cans were maybe only 10 pounds but were huge red white and blue returnable cans distributed by GOODs Potato Chips of Reading Pa. Our household was a mass of potqto chip junkies. We had potato chips while watching tv very night. Nobody was fat though. They dont make chips like that anymore.

ekename

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 05:35 am
http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_edin_t/0_edinburgh_transport_horses_st_cuthberts_milk_deliveries_comely_bank_1959.jpg
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 06:26 am
@farmerman,
Summer meant the Good Humor man and then the big vehicle that delivered the soft ice cream. At least the Good Humor man stopped ringing the bells while he took orders. The Mr. Softie theme never stopped.

And there was the Mickey Mouse club, one Christmas I got my coon skin cap....life was good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 06:55 am
A Dairy Queen appeared in town. Now and then my parents would park nearby and walk up to the window, which was at the sidewalk, and get us cones. There was no drive through, no inside seating.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 08:36 am
In the fifties we were still driving on the left side of the road. The traffic from Copenhagen to Oslo went thru the town in the narrow streets. In the summer there were even more traffic. During the winter we were 30 ooo and during the
summerseason the population more than doubled.
https://naromradehalmstad.wikispaces.com/file/view/11324084_10152820299172212_660511164_n%20%282%29.jpg/552833670/266x202/11324084_10152820299172212_660511164_n%20%282%29.jpg
http://gamlahalmstad.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/10
/Sulan1.jpg
http://janolssonvykort.se/img/16511.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 10:24 am
I wondered that there were train tracks in the street, but no trains. This was after big money interests bought the streetcars and shut them down.
saab

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 10:31 am
@saab,
The busy streetcorner on the second picture had even earlier no traffic light.
I escaped my aunt at the doctor´s and got out on the street helping the policeman conducting the traffic. It was just great.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 10:32 am
@edgarblythe,
Oh my gosh, I remember streetcars in Baltimore when I was a youngster. And at one time some areas still had cobblestone on the streets. i can still remember the sensation of walking on the cobblestones.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 11:40 am
The Columbus Day parade alternated between East Boston and the North
End. It featured high school bands, Little League Teams, the Sons of Italy,
and lots of local politicians, like this guy.

http://blog.chowdaheadz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/946056_10101694280041102_1180770606_n.jpg
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 12:11 pm
http://www.tog-billeder.dk/fotos/sporvogne/ks/Linie%2016-5/3044-3-22_Skilt%20Rygning%20er%20tilladt%20190470.jpg
Streetcar in Copenhagen. The sign says
Smoking is allowed everywhere in the second car.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 12:43 pm
"Truck rides" used to show up on the streets of our neighborhood once the weather started getting nice. Basically a flatbed truck with a carnival ride mounted on the bed.

My favorite was The Whip. Buckets that could seat two or three kids would move on an oval track and at each end, whip around the curves.

I loved the smell of the leather, oil and grease.

"Rockaby Baby" was, for me, far less enjoyable. It was a crescent shaped double rows of seats that rocked back and forth at increasing speeds. The higher rows experienced the most motion and thrill, but the former meant nausea for me. I stopped going on "Rockaby Baby" when it became clear that sitting in a top row with my pals would lead to vomiting and sitting in a bottom row that I could weather mean't being identified as a "weeny." Becoming "car-sick" was, unfortunately, a common occurrence. I can't recall the number of times, on long trips, my mother would yell for my father to pull over so I could puke on the side of the road. For some reason, The Whip never bothered me.

If I recall correctly the rides cost a quarter. Maybe less but more than a frozen treat from the Ice Cream Man. In our town the premier vendor was Bungalo Bar, even though Good Humor made the rounds as well.

http://parkslopian.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ice-Cream-Truck.jpg

The kids' favorites were the Choco-nut cone or Italian Ice, preferably blue gellati . The best part of the ices were they would last forever, if you used the little wooden spoon to shave off curls.

We all loved Mr. Softee, but for some reason he rarely came to our neighborhood. Don't know why because we lived in a classic suburban community in the NYC area. Small homes, the majority owned and occupied by young couples from The City, looking to raise their kids in the fresh air of what relatives who remained in Brooklyn or Queens called "the country."

The neighborhood or "development" was laid out in a NYC grid with streets and avenues. There were only three streets but maybe ten or twelve avenues that divided the community into blocks. Just like in The City, your gang of friends lived on your block and maybe you ventured one block to either side if you met a kid in class who you liked and who lived on an adjacent block.

If you dared to venture onto one of the two other streets, you were in enemy territory and were liable to be attacked as an intruder...dirt bombs being the weapon of choice. They hurt like hell but were a lot less punishing than rocks which were reserved for the rare but often bloody Street Wars. There was always some sick kid who would select dirt bombs that had rocks in them and then deny he or she knew they were in the bomb. Such dastardly conduct led to a few Street Wars.

On one of the blocks adjacent to ours a cranky old couple with a teenaged daughter lived. In their cyclone fenced yard they kept a snarling, vicious monster: Bombo! He looked like a German Shepherd, but could have been a mutt and barked and growled like crazy whenever we walked past the house on our way to and from school or the Stationary Store. Every once in a while the crusty old husband would threaten to open the gate and set Bombo on us. Each time we ran like the wind even though he never made good on his threat. In retrospect, I'm sure he thought it was harmless fun, but it gave 5 and 6 year olds nightmares.

Bombo terrorized us for only about a year and then disappeared. Everyone was sure he had escaped and was lurking in the Woods waiting to pounce on and rip apart any unfortunate kid who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It kept us from playing in the Woods for a time, but eventually we gathered up the courage to return (it was just too good a place in which to play to remain away for long), but for almost a year, everyone going into the Woods carried a spear fashioned from a tree limb, just in case the beast attacked.

For several years after Bombo vanished, whenever a stray dog would come into the neighborhood and saunter down our block, every kid playing in the street would sprint to the nearest house crying "Bombo's brother!" or some other relation depending upon the looks of the strange canine marauder. We even had an episode with "Bombo's Grandfather" when a mangy old cur came our way.

Whether stalking the Woods, invading enemy turf on another street, fleeing any of Bombo's many relations, or any of the other harebrained acts we engaged in, it seemed like everyday held an adventure, and if some level of fear was involved in the experience, so much the better. The more danger and fear the louder the chorus of little kids recounting their roles in the adventure to one another after reaching the safety of someone's backyard.

It was grand.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 01:08 pm
Somebody left a Ouija Board at the house. Sam and I were natural born skeptics from birth. We set it up on the kitchen table and put our fingers on the slider. And waited. And waited. After about ten minutes we began trying to spell out words, but each had his own words in mind and when we gave it up, nothing at all of note had happened. Not so many years ago, my boss at the apartments, was freaked out when somebody brought one into the office. She bordered on hysteria, because dem tings is "evil." Smile

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 01:50:14