Getting rid of pigeons...

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 10:14 am
I need a deterrent to rid my rooftop and alcoves of pigeons wanting to nest. Any suggestions...?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 718 • Replies: 14

jespah

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 10:26 am
@visceral,
Predators, or at least make it look and feel like there are predators. That means cats and hawks.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 10:50 am
@visceral,
You can buy those fake owls and maybe some other large birds to place up there to scare away the pest birds. Or maybe devise some kind of noise maker that uses a motion sensor. Birds don't seem to like a loud ticking sound, like in cocking a air gun.
jcboy

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 11:38 am
@seac,
I've also heard the fake owls work. In the harbor you will see them on peoples boats to keep the birds away.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 01:06 pm

Hoont Bird Repellent and Deterrent Reflective Tape – Double Sided Reflective Tape Keeps All Birds Away from Your Property – Effective for Pigeons, Woodpeckers and Most Other Birds (200 Ft.)
Hoont
Bird Repellent and Deterrent Reflective Tape – Double Sided Reflective Tape Keeps All Birds Away from Your Property – Effective for Pigeons, Woodpeckers and Most Other Birds (200 Ft.)
4.4 out of 5 stars 139
$1995 Prime
izzythepush

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 11:58 pm
@visceral,
Any solution is only short term because they get used to it. Flashing strips and predator shadows are next to useless. The best thing is an ultrasonic scarer, but after about a month or so they get wise.

Pigeon spikes would work on something like a flat roof. Not (unfortunately) on a cherry tree, which is my problem.
ekename

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 12:20 am
@visceral,
Flying rat traps.

Get down.

ekename

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 07:42 pm
@visceral,
Quote:
I need a deterrent to rid my rooftop and alcoves of pigeons wanting to nest. Any suggestions...?

Show the cat how to climb a ladder.
0 Replies

visceral

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 12:07 am
@ekename,
hahaah u mean the dog.....
0 Replies

visceral

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 12:09 am
@izzythepush,
unfortunately.....they are alcoves in my roof...and they are relentless
visceral

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 12:10 am
@edgarblythe,
thank you!
0 Replies

visceral

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 12:11 am
@seac,
I have one on my roof already Sad
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 12:57 am
@visceral,
I've just changed the batteries on my ultrasonic scarer and it seems to be keeping them away again. So it does work, it just uses up a lot of batteries. I only need it for a short period of time, once the cherries are gone I'll take it inside.

Maybe there's one on the market that uses mains electricity.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 05:43 am
@seac,
seac wrote:

You can buy those fake owls and maybe some other large birds to place up there to scare away the pest birds. Or maybe devise some kind of noise maker that uses a motion sensor. Birds don't seem to like a loud ticking sound, like in cocking a air gun.

Those fake owls really don't work.

Do Plastic Owls Keep Away Pigeons?

Quote:
Short-term Solution

Although decoy owls can be effective at deterring many species of birds, they are only a temporary fix. According to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, birds quickly get used to seeing the same thing day after day, and no longer fear it because it is not moving and thus seems less threatening. When this happens the birds will return, sometimes after just a few days.

How Does a Fake Owl Work to Scare Birds Away?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 05:54 am
My bird problem is a mockingbird with young in the nest. It dive bombs my dog and stalks me. I haven't figured a solution.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Getting rid of pigeons...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 07:47:34