Conservative Jewish Congregation - do I need to wear a hat?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:14 am
help help help

Going to a wedding at a Conservative Jewish Congregation tonight. Black tie requested. I'm wearing a black and gold pin-striped pantsuit. Very tasteful.

Am I supposed to wear a hat?

I know the women are going to be on a balcony, behind a screen, if that gives any clues as to 'how conservative'.

help help help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,601 • Replies: 26
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:51 am
Not in any American Conservative synagogue I've ever been to, but no one will have a problem if you do.

Ah just read the part about the balcony. That ain't Conservative; that's Orthodox. So a hat would be more or less required.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 10:03 am
I have a great leopard cowboy hat I can loan you....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 10:42 am
Thanks, jes.
The whole thing had me quite puzzled.
The website tells me it's a conservative congregation.
The invitation tells me it's a conservative congregation.
Then someone who goes to that synagogue tells me we'll be in the balcony.
I'll take a hat, and a scarf along, go early and watch from the parking lot for a bit.
Better to have the hat along.
<sigh>
Thanks.

errrrrr, and thanks for the offer, bipolar. I'll keep that hat in mind.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 10:47 am
ehBeth wrote:
Thanks, jes.
The whole thing had me quite puzzled.
The website tells me it's a conservative congregation.
The invitation tells me it's a conservative congregation.
Then someone who goes to that synagogue tells me we'll be in the balcony.
I'll take a hat, and a scarf along, go early and watch from the parking lot for a bit.
Better to have the hat along.
<sigh>
Thanks.

errrrrr, and thanks for the offer, bipolar. I'll keep that hat in mind.

this is a synagogue right? seems like you could tip and get a better seat :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 10:50 am
I usually wear a a Stetson
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 10:58 am
dys, they'll be handing out kippes for the fellas that didn't bring their own.

bipolarB - don't get me started about the whole blinkin' balcony thing.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:02 am
I was dated this lady once, you could do Shakespeare off of, (she never wore a hat) her balcony. Her friends called her "perky."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:08 am
Ha!
She musta done a lotta swimming.
Great for 'perk'. :wink:
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:09 am
So Bethie, what's the problem? You LOVE hats!!! Yeah, the balcony is a bummer, but you could also take along spitballs and aim for Setanta.

(Forgive me Jes, I know I'm too irreverant and that I have an unhealthy fondness for straws.) :wink: Embarrassed
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:13 am
Diane

1. I have a hairdo Shocked today. It is not hat-friendly. <sob>
2. Setanta's in Mudsock. Even I can't spit that far. <sob>
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:37 am
ehBeth- I can remember being in a shul, and wearing this doily sort of thing. It doesn't have to be a HAT hat. Buy yourself a piece of lace, and cut in a round shape it so that you can stick it on your head with a bobby pin. Better still, you can probably find a doily that will do nicely. Some shuls will have these things available, for those who have forgotten.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:39 am
how about a doo-rag...I have some real cool ones....
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:48 am
Oh Bethie, poor thing. Mudsock is such a dreary place for Setanta to be while you are in this terrible quandary over hats and doilies and balconys. What about feathers? Colorful feathers of the long, plumey kind that tickle the noses of those sitting close by. There will be enough sneezes to shake up the balcony and get things moving. Get down and boogie, baby!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 02:57 pm
some years ago mrs h and i were invited to a neighbour's son's bar mitzvah. it was a really wonderfull occasion. i received a very nice embroidered scullcap (silver coloured !). i'm still keeping it, hoping for another invitation ... hbg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 05:46 pm
You can do the lace thing, here, I'll lend you mine.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 05:59 pm
So was the event today? How did it go?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:59 pm
Shocked the horror Shocked
a special balcony eh and i thought it was only muslims who were prejudiceds against women
tsk tsk
how barbaric are these 'holy' people...

i remember my girlfriends dad whos a doctor in ashdod he once saw an orthodox guy on a mobile phone and he said 'oh look hes got a message from god' at the time it was very funny Wink
he says as well that he has to treat the orthodox in his clinic and he wont let them in until they first go wash there feet cos most of them smell so bad
and as well they all have 50 kids eachbacuse god says your not to waste one drop of sperm...
hmm im saying nothing more...
poor people...
i feel for them...
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 02:54 am
Chances are, no matter how conservative, the Synagogue has a Telephone listing.
Look it up, give them a ring... the secretary or whoever answers the phone can give you the best info re: what is acceptable/preferable for THAT venue.

But leave the pork rinds at home.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:53 am
I made it back.
Everything was great except for the non-dairy lemon mousse. What was I thinking, even trying that.
The doily thing is funny. The first time I met the bride, she was 4 years old, and made me wear a lace hankie on my head for the entire visit (and she's from the not-Conservative family). I didn't realize there was tradition related to that.
I draped a very light scarf-thingie over my shellacked hair at the required moments.

Mazel tov!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Conservative Jewish Congregation - do I need to wear a hat?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 11:45:12