Education Vouchers

gollum

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 01:28 pm
When a governmental entity gives a voucher to a parent to send his/her child to a private school, must it be accepted by the school as full-payment of the tuition or can the school charge an amount of tuition larger than the voucher, with the parent paying the balance?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 426 • Replies: 5
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 01:53 pm
@gollum,
I assume a parent can pay any additional fees, but I don't know for sure. Why? Does it change anything?
gollum

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 07:28 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979-

I think so.

If the terms of the voucher provide that it must be accepted by the school as full payment of the tuition, then it is available for use by all the students. It makes schools affordable that previously were not affordable.

If the terms of the voucher provide that it may be accepted as partial payment of the tuition, then it may help rich families pay for expensive schools, while excluding the poor.
Real Music

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 09:10 pm
@gollum,
http://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/school-vouchers/
Quote:
Many voucher programs have agreements with the participating private schools to allow the voucher amount to cover full tuition. Others provide a set amount, which sometimes covers and sometimes doesn’t cover the full private school tuition.
gollum

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 04:16 am
@Real Music,
Real Music-

Thank you.

New York is not included in the list of States with charter schools. However, I live in New York City and know that there are many charter schools here.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 04:23 am
@gollum,
I see. That makes sense. Unfortunately I still don't know the answer.
0 Replies