The word incident as a verb

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 08:19 am
In Conceptual Physics 12th Edition, Paul G. Hewitt, a first year university text book, I came across the use of the word "incident" as a verb in the sentences,

"The way a receiving material responds when light is incident on it depends on the frequency of the light and on the natural frequency of the electrons in the materia.

"A wave of visible light incident on a pane of glass sets up vibrations in the glass atoms...

"Likewise, light that emerges from a pane of glass is not the same light that was incident on the glass."

This usage struck me as odd, since I've never come across the use of "incident" as a verb.

I did some searching through the dictionaries available online and failed to come up with definitions of "incident" as a verb.

I've come across coinages in scientific and philosophical literature that change words from verbs to nouns by the use of suffixes, like "ness," but in this instance "incident" doesn't change form.

Has anyone else come across this use of the word "incident"?

I think Hewitt just coined a new term.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,065 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timur

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 08:41 am
It didn't strike me as odd, on the contrary.

That's the way I'd use it in physics.

However, note that it's an adjective, not a verb.

Most Latin derived languages use it too.
centrox

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 09:31 am
@timur,
timur wrote:
However, note that it's an adjective, not a verb.

Yes, and very much used in optics.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The word incident as a verb
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:24:50