Real life Iron Man demonstration.

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 02:34 am
Thought this might interest some of you. From the BBC.

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/0D54/production/_95821430_flyingman2.jpg
Quote:
A British inventor, who built an Iron Man-style flight suit, has flown it at the Ted (Technology, Entertainment and Design) conference in Vancouver.

Richard Browning's short flight took place outside the Vancouver Convention Centre in front of a large crowd.

Since he posted the video of his maiden flight in the UK, Mr Browning has had huge interest in his flying suit.

But he insists the project remains "a bit of fun" and is unlikely to become a mainstream method of transportation.
He was inspired by his father, an aeronautical engineer and inventor, who killed himself when Mr Browning was a teenager.

He told the BBC that he always had a passion for making things and loved a challenge.

"I did this entirely for the same reason that you might look at a mountain and decide to climb it - for the journey and the challenge."

He said he was also fascinated by the idea of human flight.
"My approach to flight was why not augment the human mind and body, because they are amazing machines, so I just bolted on what was missing - thrust."

Mr Browning, a Royal Marine Reserve, created his flying machine using six miniature jet engines and a specially designed exoskeleton.

He has a helmet with a sophisticated heads-up display that keeps him informed about fuel use.

The Daedalus suit - named after the father of Icarus by Mr Browning's eight-year-old son - takes off vertically. Mr Browning uses his arms to control the direction and speed of the flight.

Mr Browning said it is easily capable of flying at 200mph (321km/h) and an altitude of a few thousand feet.

But, for safety reasons, he keeps the altitude and speed low.

He insisted it is "safer than a motorbike".
The suit can currently fly uninterrupted for around 10 minutes.

The start-up he founded, Gravity, is working on new technology for the device which Mr Browning said will make the current prototype look "like child's play".

Since video of his maiden flight went on YouTube, he has had thousands of views and interest from investors and the UK military.

But he does not think that the system is about to go mainstream anytime soon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39441825
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,232 • Replies: 9
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 04:38 am
@izzythepush,
A 10 minute flight time is pretty limiting. We really need that magical Arc-reactor technology that Tony Stark has.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 08:52 am
@rosborne979,
That's always been the problem, I remember jet packs in the 70s and in James Bond films but they were similarly limited.

Having said that I bet it's a terrific buzz.
Blickers

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 09:04 am
I'm sure this fellow's suit is far more sophisticated, but I remember a flying suit being demonstrated between games at a NY Mets doubleheader in the mid sixties. As I recall after reading up on it, (I thought they would become popular and in 10 years everyone would have one), the exhaust was in the form of steam.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 09:09 am
@Blickers,
It's been a fantasy for a long time, good for blockbuster films and the like. 200mph for ten minutes will get you 33 miles away.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 12:14 pm
@izzythepush,
This guy's suit design is different from the others I've seen, but that's because he'r trying to "copy" the Iron Man Suit designs with hand-repulsors and all that.

The old designs used a contained reaction mass (propulsion fuel). This guy seems to be using small Jet Engines, so he doesn't have to carry his own reaction mass. But he's still got the "big" core problem to deal with and that's his energy source.

Portable power sources are where the comic books really have an advantage. We simply don't have anything comparable, and if we did it would change our societies in more ways than just jet packs.
Blickers

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 01:47 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote izzy:
Quote:
It's been a fantasy for a long time, good for blockbuster films and the like. 200mph for ten minutes will get you 33 miles away.

You can come close to the same experience with a powered hang glider, which I'm sure stay aloft a lot longer than 10 minutes. I have no idea what the crash rate is, but sometime in the eighties someone a little familiar with hang gliding said that ultralight aircraft, which is this sort of is, crash a lot more than hang gliders.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/WikipediaHangmotor.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2017 02:37 am
@rosborne979,
Not to mention warp drive and teleportation.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2017 06:44 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Not to mention warp drive and teleportation.

And Magic. Things are just so much easier with Magic. 😀
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2017 09:24 am
@rosborne979,
The gathering?
0 Replies