Thinking about majoring in Geology

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 01:01 am
During this semester at my community college I took a historical geology course and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I barley understood what was going on at the beginning, however throughout the course I was getting better at understanding everything. I continued to enjoy the course all the way through. Before the historical geology course I took a Physical Geology course and I enjoyed that as well.

During the historical geology class we had to do a project that entailed all of the Epochs withing the geological timeline. While looking up everything about the geological timeline I learned a lot and it made me think that that's what I want to do, I want to learn more about geology.

in my physical geology class I did not do so well in the class despite it being a 100 level class. I enjoyed geology a lot but this discouraged me from getting into it, I also "failed" a simple test when I applied for a factory. To me that sort of thing happening meant that I should not get into the education field, or the science field at all.

I want to major in geology however it's discouraging whenever you get bad grades and when you do not understand the material. I think to myself "if I can't understand this how do i expect to get my BA or even Masters in geology." I eventually want to overcome my academic struggles to find out what I want to do, but it's really hard when you are constantly doubting yourself.

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 06:53 am
@datguy42,
Be careful. Being a geologist will make you a cranky old man someday...
farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 07:53 am
@McGentrix,
and youll be chasing kids off your lawn.
Most geologists I went to grad school with are no longer prcticing. You either wind up in govt, or academia, or you make it big and can retire at 45. Ive been fortunate in tht Ive never hd to worry about our (or my kids futures), thanks to my work and I still had some time to work with new students.

One of the major talents that geologists should hve, is to be able to think and perceive in multiple dimensions . The science will, under the direction that artificial"Intelligence" is developing, probably become as much a commodity as any other profession .

Sounds like you have more of a study skills problem. Id dvise you to seek some good study help or consult a program in study skills development at a nearby NON-PROFIT college or university. Often times making one smarter is learned skills. I had an early learning disability that was captured by an 8th grade teacher who recognized my growing ADHD and inability to focus.
0 Replies

temybroder

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 03:55 pm
@McGentrix,
Whether as a geologist or not, you'll get old someday anyway..
roger

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 04:45 pm
@temybroder,
But, maybe young at heart?

Aw, never mind.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Thinking about majoring in Geology
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:25:47