How to authorize user-end computer to visit host?

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 12:56 pm
How to authorize user-end computer to visit host?

I've made my two computers as a home network with nics and a hub. The host runs Win XP while the user-end comp Win98. After having run "Network Installation Wizard", I could find there is "Bush" icon in the "Workgroup" in the host, and I found the icon in the user-end comp in its "Network Neighbor" folder. It indicates that the home network has been made successfully. But when I clicked the "Bush" icon in the user-end comp, a dialogue pups up, saying "You cannot access to Bush without authorization."
Okay, how to authorize the user-end comp?

PS. I've made all drives of the host as sharing drives.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,387 • Replies: 9
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:51 pm
You say you're browsing network neighbourhood from the host, but you set up the host's drives as network shares? Shouldn't you set up a file share on Bush? Then when you click it should show the available shares and when you select one of them it will either ask for a username/password or just connect depending on the permissions you give the share.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:47 am
Hmm, a drive can contain many folders, of course i've made some folders like 'my documents" as shares. No, click the Bush icon in the end-user comp wouldn't show me the dialogue asking for password, it just show refusal. While clicking the Bush icon in the host, all shares, including the shared drives and other folders, would show up.

So the problem is still confusing me.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 03:13 pm
I'm confused too - which one is Bush? Host or client? Or when you say "Bush icon" do you mean something else?

Still sounds like a permissions problem. Which network protocol are you using?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:34 pm
Hi Hingehead,

"Bush" is the name of the comp that serves as host. Please reread the thread, in which I said "After having run "Network Installation Wizard", I could find there is "Bush" icon in the "Workgroup" in the host (of course in the process of the installation, you could name the host with whatever name that you like) and I also found the Bush icon automatically appearing in its "Network Neighbor" folder in the user-end comp.

Okay, clicking Bush icon in the host and all contents would show up, but clicking Bush icon in the user-end comp would only show up a refusal dialogue saying you don't get the authorization to access to the network resource.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 09:42 pm
So it is a permissions problem. Obviously the host can see itself. The client can see the host on the network but doesn't have permissions to see any shared files on it.

So.... when you start the client are you logging into the network? If so, as which user? Do the shares on the host allow access to that user? When you set up the shares did you give appropriate access to the folder as well as the share? There are two tabs on the share creation window that have to be set up.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:43 pm
For example, to make all folders in drive C as shared ones:

Right click C: icon, and then click "Properties", the dialogue shows up.

Click "Share" tab, and then click "Network Share and Security", choose "Share the folder on the network" and "Allow network users to modify my files".

Click OK, then you see the icon of the drive C has been changed to the icon which is held by a hand.

I've made all drives in my host as shared ones. Still, from the client comp, you cannot access to the shared ones when clicking the Bush icon there.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 11:05 pm
But you haven't said which users can change the files and you haven't confirmed that the client logs into the network. I don't know which network protocol you're using but I'm sure you have to specifically allow a named user RWX access to the shares and then that user has to login into the network from the client.

This would explain why you can browse the network and see the host, but can't see any shares.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 11:26 pm
The administrator of the comp running Win XP is Oristar. But which users can change the files and how to confirm that the client logs into the network?
The problem is that I cannot find the client icon in the host. But heck, when in the process of running "Network Installation Wizard" I named the host as "Clinton", and described the host comp as "I like Able2Know!", I can see 'Clinton" and "I like Able2Know" automatically appeared in the client comp. This indicated that the host automatically found out the client comp via the network path. And now, in the host, you cannot see the client icon in the workgroup NewSky!

Since you cannot see the client icon in the host, how can you authorize it to visit the host?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 11:29 pm
I've found another clue:

When clicking Control Panel ==>> Managing Tools ==>> Computers Management ==>> right clicking Computers Management (Local) ==>> clicking "Connect to another computer" ==>> in the "Choose Computer" dialogue, clicking the "Browse" button in the right of "Another Computer" textbox, you can see what is under the 'Position for locating the comp" is "NewSky" workgroup. Of course, the client comp is in the workgroup. Since the client comp's name is "freewill", so I started to find "freewill", but Win XP reported that "Cannot manage computer //FREEWILL. Cannot find network path".

Cannot find network path? I've said "When in the process of running "Network Installation Wizard" I named the host as "Clinton", and described the host comp as "I like Able2Know!", I can see 'Clinton" and "I like Able2Know" automatically appeared in the client comp. This indicated that the host automatically found out the client comp via the network path. And now, in the host, you cannot see the client icon in the workgroup NewSky!" "Cannot find network path!" How weird it is!
0 Replies