My partner loves the cats more than me. Advice please.

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 04:51 am
It's not really a jealousy thing because he doesn't spend more time with them or anything like that, it's things he says and the way he acts. For example if I say something about them and he thinks I am being critical of them he will give me a snappy answer and swear at me. In addition to this, I have Contamination OCD and I find it hard to have outside cats that come in, so I ask things like to shut the kitchen door so that they don't go on the worktops - but he often doesn't. I say to him about it and he just says the cats were asleep, and I say that isn't the point because cats can sneak up on you. He has done it before and one of them managed to get past him in the kitchen and went to sleep on the clean washing in the utility room.
We keep having arguments about it because I feel he should have more love and respect for me than the cats, I could understand if we were just dating and he had them longer, but he was with me first. We have lived together for almost 14 years, which is twice the length of how long we've had the eldest. He calls me his wife and says he wants to be with me forever - so shouldn't I mean more to him? Don't get me wrong, of course you should love pets (I have a pet galah I love but nowhere close to how I feel about my partner), but I can't understand loving a pet more than a partner of that long. It may sound silly but the thought of him loving them more kills me inside as I love him more than life and I thought he felt the same. Am I in the wrong?

Sturgis

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 06:03 am
@Sherbetini,
Cats have a strong hold on a number of folks, often they are considered part of the family. The love, attention and respect which they receive is at times different, even off putting to those around them, including life-partners.

It isn't necessarily that he loves them more, just in a different way. Animals can do that to humans, they have a way of reaching in and pulling on the heartstrings. Trust in his love for you. Even after arguments, he has stayed with you, he hasn't packed up, grabbed the cats and fled, that indicates that he has more love for you, than for them.

I understand that your OCD complicates matters when the cats walk across a clean surface; but, these things happen. Just be aware and accept it as part of life...and always have some cleaning supplies at the ready. Then, go and have a chat with your pet bird and focus on the positives.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 11:06 am
@Sherbetini,
try this:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0344/6469/products/newwebsitefit_1024x1024.jpg?v=1410639042
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 04:14 pm
@Sherbetini,
I suspect that this behavior with the cats (and you) is him coping with your OCD. OCD can be stressful for everyone involved so I'm sure there are some underlying issues between you two. As a result he turns to the cats to fill some of the love and affection needs as they are non-judgemental and won't fuss at him.

Both of you could probably benefit from some couples and individual counseling so you BOTH can successfully cope better with your OCD.
roger

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 04:21 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
Anyone in this for love and affection would be better off with a dog. Now, if you want to open the door 20 times a day to let the critter in and out, a cat might be just the thing.

I speak from long and current experience, but certainly don't disagree with your advice.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My partner loves the cats more than me. Advice please.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 02:07:39