Books on Imagination, Creativity, Intelligence, Children

LarryBS

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 06:54 am
This is a small list of books on creativity, imagination, and intelligence, several with respect to children, that I've compiled over the years because I've seen them referred to repeatedly, or even actually read them! I added a couple of recent books that sound relevant and interesting, and then there a few that may fall within the realm of self-help books, but are hopefully a step or two above that.

Obviously, these are just a few that I'm familiar with. Please add your recommendations for non-fiction books about creativity or intelligence, or fiction that may have sparked your imagination as a child or adult, like Watership Down, Lord of the Rings, science fiction, or classic literature.

Thanks!

Creating Minds: An Anatomy of Creativity Seen Through the Lives of Freud, Einstein, Picasso, Stravinsky, Eliot, Graham, and Gandhi by Howard Gardner

Genius: A Mosaic of One Hundred Exemplary Creative Minds by Harold Bloom

The Geography of the Imagination: Forty Essays (Nonpareil Book, 78) by Guy Davenport

The Moral Intelligence of Children: How to Raise a Moral Child by Robert Coles

The Spiritual Life of Children by Robert Coles

The Geography of Childhood (Why Children Need Wild Places) by Gary Paul Nabhan Stephen Trimble (Contributor), Robert Coles (Introduction)

The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature by Steven Pinker

The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales by Bruno Bettelheim

The Classic Fairy Tales: Texts, Criticism (Norton Critical Edition)
by Maria M. Tatar

Off with Their Heads! Fairy Tales and the Culture of Childhood
by Maria M. Tatar

Other books by Robert Coles:

Psychiatrist and author Robert Coles pioneered the use of oral history as a method of studying children. His five-volume series of books called Children in Crisis , published from 1967-1978, won a Pulitzer Prize in recognition of its wide-ranging examination of children throughout the world and how they cope with war, poverty, and other crises. Trained as a pediatrician as well as a psychiatrist, Coles became a professor of psychiatry and medical humanities at Harvard University Medical School in 1978. His lifelong interest in children has generated more than 50 books. He was awarded the National Humanities Medal and the National Medal of Arts in 2001 by the President.

The Political Life of Children
The Secular Mind
The Moral Life of Children
The Call of Stories: Teaching and the Moral Imagination

Children of Crisis Series:
Children of crisis; a study of courage and fear (Children of Crisis, Volume 1)
Migrants, Sharecroppers, Mountaineers (Children of Crisis, Volume 2)
The South Goes North (Children of Crisis, Vol 3)
Eskimos, Chicanos, Indians (Children of Crisis, Volume 4)
Privileged Ones: The Well-Off and Rich in America (Children of Crisis, Vol 5)

Other books by Howard Gardner:

Frames of Mind: The Theory of Multiple Intelligences
The Unschooled Mind: How Children Think and How Schools Should Teach

Popular:

Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: A Course in Enhancing Creativity and Artistic Confidence by Betty Edwards

The Universal Traveler: A Soft-Systems Guide to Creativity, Problem-Solving, & the Process of Reaching Goals by Jim Bagnall, Jim Bagnall

How to Think Like Einstein: Simple Ways to Break the Rules and Discover Your Hidden Genius by Scott Thorpe

How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day by Michael J. Gelb

Discover Your Genius: How to Think Like History's Ten Most Revolutionary Minds by Michael J. Gelb

The Mozart Effect for Children: Awakening Your Child's Mind, Health, and Creativity With Music by Don G. Campbell

The Vein of Gold: A Journey to Your Creative Heart by Julia Cameron
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,262 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 07:30 am
My God, Larry. You are a walkin, talkin library Smile

That's quite an impressive list of things to do in one's spare time.

It makes me feel good to think that this thread is an offshoot of "...And the Answer is...." Thank you.

I am amazed at the books that I read as a child and as a teenager. I'm not quite certain why, but I do know that it had much to do with my socialization.

Good post, Larry.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 06:34 pm
Thanks Letty, you all were talking about intelligence and creativity and it reminded me of this list of books, then I kept thinking of more and more to add...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 06:37 pm
Wow, good stuff!! (I SO want to read Blank Slate, I'm tellin' ya...)

I'd add "The Scientist in the Crib" by Alison Gopnik at all. GREAT.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 07:04 pm
Well, Larry, when you got that Sweet Soz hooked on your books...you're doin' something right Smile Wish I had had a student such as you.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 12:09 am
And I wish I had had then, when I was a student, the curiousity and willingness to learn that I have now.

Thanks sozobe for the recommendation.

I'm going to try to continue to add to this list, so if you all think of anymore, feel free to post them here. Especially biographies of creators and artists, like Leonardo, Emerson, Einstein, etc.

Thanks. Smile
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 12:57 am
i've heard "blank slate" mentioned on several threads. i think i'll go look for that.

good topic larry
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 01:58 am
Thanks pueo - by the way, I've been watching everyone tell you goodnight for a couple of weeks now - makes for fascinating reading at 5 or 6 in the morning! (U.S. EST)

I haven't noticed Blank Slate mentioned anywhere else on a2k, but if you find it let me know - or post the link here if its relevant, thanks.

Pinker's best known work before this may have been The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language, also a very enriching read. Some of his other books are How the Mind Works, Words and Rules: The Ingredients of Language, and Why Our Children Can't Read and What We Can Do About It: A Scientific Revolution in Reading.

The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature is a controversial book, maybe because it takes on both the right and the left.
To get an idea of the controversy behind it, you might read the first three or four of the customer reviews on Amazon, which are uncommonly well thought out and written -

The Blank Slate @Amazon.com

Here is some of the L.A. Times review, Blank Slate was one of their Best Non-Fiction of 2002:

L.A.Times Best Non-Fiction of 2002

". . . Part of Pinker's mission is to repeat that there is no inescapable correlation between facts and human value systems, good or bad. Pinker presents an unanswerable case for accepting that man can be, as he is, both wired and free. Genes do not determine how we use our minds, only the kinds of minds we have. No one has to propagate fairy tales in order to justify a better world. Ashley Montagu's UNESCO resolution, stating that biology supports an ethic of "universal brotherhood" is as baseless as Rousseau's myth of the noble savage. Man is good and bad; man is loving and savage; man is thoughtful and impulsive. The ingredients vary with genetic inheritance. Too bad if that doesn't suit left- or right-wing utopians, but the good news is that man is unrivaled in ingenuity and in ability to learn and adapt. An individual mind can be closed (or held shut); the book of knowledge, and hence society itself, can never be. What we certainly need are critics -- as Pinker himself is -- of reckless conclusions drawn from statistics or from anything else. Such characters used to be the fruit of what was known as the humanities. And "The Blank Slate" -- at once tolerant and polemic, uncompromising and open-minded -- offers a notable and instructive contribution to them. As a brightly lighted path between what we would like to believe and what we need to know, it is required reading."

Here is an excerpt of some of the critical reviews of the book, from Amazon:

The Blank Slate @Amazon.com

" . . . In The Blank Slate, Steven Pinker explores the idea of human nature and its moral, emotional, and political colorings. He shows how many intellectuals have denied the existence of human nature and instead have embraced three dogmas: The Blank Slate (the mind has no innate traits), The Noble Savage (people are born good and corrupted by society), and The Ghost in the Machine (each of us has a soul that makes choices free from biology). Each dogma carries a moral burden, so their defenders have engaged in desperate tactics to discredit the scientists who are now challenging them.

Pinker provides calm in the stormy debate by disentangling the political and moral issues from the scientific ones. He shows that equality, compassion, responsibility, and purpose have nothing to fear from discoveries about an innately organized psyche. Pinker shows that the new sciences of mind, brain, genes, and evolution, far from being dangerous, are complementing observations about the human condition made by millennia of artists and philosophers. All this is done in the style that earned his previous books many prizes and worldwide acclaim: irreverent wit, lucid exposition, and startling insight on matters great and small.

And one more site:

http://www.semcoop.com/detail/0670031518

" . . . Has the blank slate theory become the secular religion of modern intellectual life? In many quarters, nurture has not only won over nature, but any suggestion that human nature, and not society, determines the fate of individuals is seen as shocking and irresponsible. Many proponents of the blank slate theory, a belief that the mind has no innate traits, fear that appeals to human nature can be used to justify inequality, subvert social change, dissolve personal responsibility, and strip life of meaning. Pinker, however, believes that human nature and our genetic makeup while not being the sole determinant of our personality cannot be ignored. In a lucid and balanced study, Pinker examines how the blank slate theory has come to dominate modern intellectual life and how new discoveries in genetics are challenging conventional ideas about human behavior and culture. Pinker shows how a richer conception of human nature provides insight into language, social life, and morality. He also discusses how it can clarify controversies regarding politics, the nature of violence, gender, childrearing, and the arts. His work, sure to garner both praise and controversy, is a stimulating and fascinating contribution to discussions regarding the age-old nature vs. nurture debate."
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:02 am
Thanks for all the great reading ideas LBS. I am with Soz on Blank Slate sounds fascinating.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 01:11 pm
LarryBS wrote:

". . . Part of Pinker's mission is to repeat that there is no inescapable correlation between facts and human value systems, good or bad."

Larry, can you comment further on Pinkers thoughts about the separation of facts and values. I have, for some years believed in what I conceive of as such a separation between the two. I'm wondering just what Pinker thinks.

It would be nice to find out without having to read a book.

I find that there are a lot of books in the world and a lot of ideas. It's just about impossible to know it all.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 01:38 pm
Hazlitt, I was thinking along the same lines as you concerning the blank slate idea. I know the basics of the concept, and always wondered, through personal observation, if newborns are born with a blank slate, then why do they demonstrate fear of falling and fear of loud noises?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 01:49 pm
Gifted Resources
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 02:06 pm
"The Scientist in the Crib" has a lot of great stuff regarding the blank slate and newborns thing. I don't remember details right now (could get my copy and post some excerpts) but all kinds of research has shown that newborns most definitely are NOT blank slates.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 02:29 pm
Fascinating subject. I think the works by Maria Montessori and the Montessori method would tie in with encouraging creativity and feeding intelligence.

I believe that intelligence is innate, but can be stunted. I don't think a parent or teacher can increase a child's intelligence, though effectively it appears that is what is happening when they Don't STUNT a child's natural interests.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 01:25 am
larry, the goodnight pueo thread was started by chatoyant. it kind of took on a life of it's own.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 01:27 am
piffka, are you talking about montessori schools?

amazingly we have those on guam.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 01:56 am
Good topic Larry! A bit on the broad end, so I suppose I shall just jump in, splashing upon a few of the posts.

My votes for books on creativity and stimulating imagination:

A Kick in the Seat of the Pants and A Whack on the Side of the Head: both books by Roger Von Oech. The chapters, organization, breadth and even illustrations are delightful and timeless. A link to the following review from an interesting website called "wannalearn.com":

Kick in the Seat of the Pants, review

Wannalearn.com
"Over 350 categories of free, first-rate, family-safe online tutorials, guides and instructionally oriented Websites! "

For the comment on Montessori: as a US teacher schooled in the early 70's, Montessori seemed to fit right in with the trend towards "free schools" and "schools without walls". It seemed "new" and child-centered, so therefore it had a good reception for eager parents of surely 'gifted' prodigies, lol! I found over time that it is not one of the better choices for stimulating and mentoring children's imaginations and scholarship. Of course, this is my opinion, and from what I have seen "in the field".

On the Blank Slate theory: living with an infant is fascinating, especially for the grandma cobalt, because I have the luxury and the time to watch my tiny granddaughter learning daily at an amazing pace. I love to watch her think thru things and confront new experiences. I can "see it" right on her face as she encounters new 'information'. I believe that there IS a large Blank Slate with infants, but it is most definitely first limited or broadened by the genetics of heredity. For instance, I've know many brilliant but damaged children who struggled with conditions such as autism, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, and schizophrenia. I've also seen rather "dull" and apathetic young children that benefit greatly from massive attention and stimulation. The younger the better. Waiting for "school" to begin most important "learning" is a sad waste of time and potential.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 05:23 am
Thanks cobalt and sozo for the book suggestions, and everybody for your contributions.

Hazlitt - I haven't read the book either. Those comments above are from one of the reviews. I saw a short lecture that Pinker gave on BOOKTV (CSPAN2) a couple of months ago, but didn't know of the book until then. Perhaps someone will chime in that has read the book.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 10:03 am
Cobalt, it's definitely not either/ or, blank slate or all there. (How would all there work, I wonder?) Just, newborns are much less of a blank slate than previously thought.

P.S., my school was an Open school, and it rocked. GREAT school, great education.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 11:00 am
Yep. Montessori Schools. I think I should have sent my kids to them, at least while they were in elementary school.

Sozobe - Open School? Tell more. If you liked it, it must be good.
0 Replies