How do I keep my boyfriend happy but also maintain a healthy and long platonic (guy) friendship?

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 07:06 pm
I have been in this relationship for 8 months now. My boyfriend has obvious trust issues that he admits to and attributes to being cheated on in his very first relationship. Once, my boyfriend told me he doesn’t want to ever see a particular good (guy) friend I told him about (me and this good friend had a thing for a long time) as it would be a slap to his ego as a man. The thing is I have NEVER done anything that would make him questions his trust for me. Even as little as getting a “hello” from a guy friend on whatsapp, I let him know about it, doing this because I try remain transparent, being understanding of the trust issues and trying to WIN his trust (given the trust issues).
Now, there’s this particular guy friend, Tom. Tom and I have been good friends for about 9 years now. Our friendship is completely platonic (talks to me about girl(s) he is seeing, relationship issues he’s having, and vice versa, sometimes, we playfully throw “insulting” words at each other, all which I started to stop doing when I got into a relationship, my first official relationship). I’m currently in the same city as Tom doing my masters. My boyfriend and I had a HUGE fall out when he first found out I will be doing my masters in the same city as Tom. He insists that Tom and I can’t be “just good friends”. It’s been 4 months since moving to same city as Tom and I’ve only spoken to Tom like 3 times. I have drastically reduced my communication with him because of my boyfriend but also because I want to set up some boundary, which I feel I’m not doing right (as I’ve once totally ignored his message). I feel I’m supposed to hang out with Tom at least once but my boyfriend totally disagrees. EACH TIME Tom’s name comes up (which HARDLY does) we have a HUGE fall out! How do I maintain boundary with Tom while protecting the friendship? How do I not disappoint my boyfriend by remaining good friends with Tom? Is it that I don't see my boyfriend's perspective? We agreed that when he comes to visit then we can all (including Tom) hang out together but it’s been four months already and a long old friendship is fast deteriorating. What do I do?!

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 07:20 pm
@Quintessential ,
Leave the boyfriend, get away from all that. You don't need to make him understand, you need to get away. He want's to possess, yes, but it will only get worse.
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2017 07:31 pm
@Quintessential ,
Get rid of the boyfriend, a month ago if possible.

I am having the exact issue with my wife and it will never stop or get better. Get out before you invest (waste) any more time on this insecure and untrusting guy.

Your other option is to keep them both and have your boyfriend make you miserable.

Or get rid of your guy friend so your boyfriend can turn his focus to the next thing you do that displeases him.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 07:02 am
@Quintessential ,
You don't have to make up for what your boyfriend's first girlfriend did to him. He's punishing you for her mistakes and misdeeds. It's not fair.

Either tell him to get over it and you'll be friends with whom you please (and I'm sure it'll end) or tell him it's over, and be friends with whomever you please. Same result.

Or kowtow to him and he'll make up some other way to make you pay for the first girlfriend's behavior.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 09:02 am
@Quintessential ,
Your boyfriend needs to grow up. If he hasn't got over what someone did to him in the past, he needs to get some counselling before he tries to be in a healthy relationship.

I wouldn't have lasted a month with a guy like that, let alone eight months.

Get on with your life in your new city . Contact Tom if you want to. He is your friend and has been for many years. He has to wonder why you haven't been in contact.

If your boyfriend can't cope with it, he needs to sort himself out - not you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How do I keep my boyfriend happy but also maintain a healthy and long platonic (guy) friendship?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 12:58:02