'Cheer up' to a friend who got his arm broken?

SMickey

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 03:30 am
I was taught that the phrase 'cheer up' could be used to someone depressed or sad.

Say, if a friend of mine got his arm broken, a real serious one,
and I say to him,

'Cheer up.'

Does it sound awkward?
cuz a native English speaker also said,
if it is used to someone who got injured,
he/she might react, like,

'What? Cheer up? You mean this is no biggie? Turn off, dude!'

So, I concluded that you must abstain from using 'cheer up'
to those who got seriously injured.

Then what could be proper phrases to use instead of it?
'Everything will be all right.'?

View best answer, chosen by SMickey
roger

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 03:36 am
@SMickey,
"Cheer up" is mostly used for someone who is sad or has just received bad news. It isn't much used for someone who has been injured, but probably wouldn't be completely wrong.

Just say you hope it heals quickly.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 04:32 am
We generally say "cheer up" as a kind of rebuke or encouragement when someone is behaving in a doleful or miserable way. It can be more or less sympathetic, but it is not really a way of comforting them. It can carry a strong implication of "Don't be such a wuss", and is often a way of cajoling someone to act more cheerfully than they might feel like doing.

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 04:33 am
@SMickey,
SMickey wrote:
cuz a native English speaker also said,
if it is used to someone who got injured,
he/she might react, like,

'What? Cheer up? You mean this is no biggie? Turn off, dude!'

That native speaker was right.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 08:08 am
You could tell them to "Hang in there" as in, "bear up, things will get better soon". I find this to be a useful general encouragement.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 08:48 am
People used to say "keep your pecker up" in Britain, but I think that is open to misinterpretation these days, because although 'pecker' means 'nose' in the British saying, it means something different in the USA.
snood

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 09:28 am
@centrox,
LOL funny
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 10:58 am
@SMickey,
I think that rather than telling him how he should be feeling, let him know that YOU think it's sucks that he broke his arm and if he needs anything that you're there to help out (yard stuff, heavy lifting, chores, whatever).

Generally, people don't like or need to be told how they should be feeling. Telling somebody to "cheer up" basically says "whatever emotions you have about this, they are wrong , and I know how you should be feeling".

Just offer support and acknowledgement​ of the situation and validation to whatever feels this guy has about his broken arm.
centrox

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2017 12:23 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
tibbleinparadise wrote:
Generally, people don't like or need to be told how they should be feeling. Telling somebody to "cheer up" basically says "whatever emotions you have about this, they are wrong , and I know how you should be feeling".

Just offer support and acknowledgement​ of the situation and validation to whatever feels this guy has about his broken arm.

Yes. This is absolutely right. You might say "cheer up" etc to someone who has a long face for a comparatively trivial reason, e.g. it is raining on a trip to the beach, or they have a cold, or their football team has lost a match.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 'Cheer up' to a friend who got his arm broken?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 09:51:30