How can you trust people to give honest reviews?

CocoaB

Thu 13 Apr, 2017 08:52 pm
I don't know if anyone remembers the writing site Xanga, but I was an active member there a long time ago and I met some writing friends there.

Other than that, I'm always iffy on who is giving me fake reviews or who genuinely wants to help me better my writing. With backstabbing competition these days, it's hard to tell who would give a genuine review, or who is just giving you a one star review to piss you off. I've also mostly gotten A- / B+ on my creative writing assignments at my college courses, too and even back in the day received the same.

I've made sure to go to a wide variety of places for reviews - I've even showed my co-workers in real life, friends that don't usually read books, non-friends, people that don't know me, strangers, and they all say my writing is great, I just need to write more...so these few handful of elders when they give me BS one star reviews, is it because they see me have potential and they didn't?

These fake one star reviewers once were "nice" to me when I first met them on the forum, how quickly they turned against me. It's like who can I trust to show my works to? Even my former boss loves my writing and read an excerpt I showed him like ten times! So I'm wondering if these elders on the Internet who bash me are just bitter.

The people who "one star" me claim they are "successful" so they shouldn't care how good I am, but I see they're constantly doing whatever they can to slander me and my short stories to have people not read it.

I just created a new pen name and started over fresh. How can you trust people will give you genuine reviews or they won't turn on you if they see you as threat?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,957 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

ekename

Thu 13 Apr, 2017 10:38 pm
@CocoaB,
Post a paragraph and I promise to provide an honest review.
centrox

Fri 14 Apr, 2017 12:58 am
@ekename,
ekename wrote:
Post a paragraph and I promise to provide an honest review.

Me too.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 14 Apr, 2017 07:30 am
@CocoaB,
Take reviewers at face value.

For movie critics? Follow their reasoning, follow their careers over a span of time. See if their beliefs make sense even if they don't align with your aesthetic and storytelling sensibilities.

Looks like your post is basically about reviews and whether they are consisting constructive criticism, grammar checking, personal opinions, personal context, etc.... Also take the personal latters at face value.
CocoaB

Fri 14 Apr, 2017 08:41 am
@tsarstepan,
I do take the reviews at face value and the one star "reviews" I get aren't constructive considering they're incorrect about who they think I am as a person and what they think about my stories. Keep in mind the people who make my one star reviews are people that have been in the business longer than me who have not amounted to anything. People who are not threatened by me offer honest criticisms and so far when I do get real reviews, they've said nothing bad about me or my writing at all...just that I need to write more and longer stories...that's been the general consensus.
0 Replies

CocoaB

Fri 14 Apr, 2017 08:42 am
@ekename,
Okay, I'm going to come up with something and post it later.
0 Replies

ekename

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 02:43 am
@CocoaB,
Quote:
I just created a new pen name

Wow, great idea.

I'm steeling myself, latest one is an avuncular agony columnist called sob-ricky-sobriquet.

My most recent received missive reveals all, the writer has only to re-read her letter to glean the crystal spoon
0 Replies

centrox

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 03:03 am
CocoaB has not been able to provide one paragraph in sixteen days. I think the magnum opus is some way in the future.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 06:58 am
@CocoaB,
You read their reviews for a while. Get to know if they have a biased pattern or if they trully reflect the requirements a review is suppose to have. Get a statistical average and you have an answer.
I chose to answer how do you know people make good honest reviews instead...
0 Replies