HRC hard-ons. Will they ever get over it?

McGentrix

Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:51 am
@maxdancona,
From FOXNEWS.

MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, AP, IP plus pretty much every newspaper in the country all had a love affair with Obama.
maxdancona

Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:57 am
@McGentrix,
Maybe you have a point McGentrix, however Obama courted the press. Trump started out attacking the press from the very beginning.

I don't get where this sympathy for the leader of the free world comes from. Trump has a position of great power, he isn't a victim. Everyone in this position has strengths and weaknesses when dealing with the press and the public. Obama took the attacks against him. which were pretty nasty, public and pervasive, and he responded intelligently. You didn't even see him complaining about them. Yes, the press treated him with respect... and he cultivated this.

Trump has the power to influence the media, to reach out to people, and to create his own public persona. He has chosen to attack the "mainstream media", to lash out against popular figures (including Meryl Streep for God's sake) and trade daily insults on Twitter.

Trump is not a victim. He manipulated the media to get himself elected... he has deliberately created the persona that he now lives with. Whining about the image he has created for himself is ridiculous.

When you use your political power to publicly attack women who annoy you as "fat and ugly", you don't get to whine that the media isn't treating you fairly.
Linkat

Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:17 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Maybe you have a point McGentrix, however Obama courted the press. Trump started out attacking the press from the very beginning.

I don't get where this sympathy for the leader of the free world comes from. Trump has a position of great power, he isn't a victim. Everyone in this position has strengths and weaknesses when dealing with the press and the public. Obama took the attacks against him. which were pretty nasty, public and pervasive, and he responded intelligently. You didn't even see him complaining about them. Yes, the press treated him with respect... and he cultivated this.

Trump has the power to influence the media, to reach out to people, and to create his own public persona. He has chosen to attack the "mainstream media", to lash out against popular figures (including Meryl Streep for God's sake) and trade daily insults on Twitter.

Trump is not a victim. He manipulated the media to get himself elected... he has deliberately created the persona that he now lives with. Whining about the image he has created for himself is ridiculous.

When you use your political power to publicly attack women who annoy you as "fat and ugly", you don't get to whine that the media isn't treating you fairly.

The problem is the media is supposed to be unbiased - they are supposed to be reporting facts. I am not just saying this is issue just on one side but both sides they slant the facts in their favor. I think part of the issue we are seeing is there are simply for whatever reason, more media that slants to the liberal side of things. That could be why it seems so much more intense hatred.

Even if a president is the most complete idiot and childish - it should be the responsibility of the media to report unbiased facts.
maxdancona

Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:25 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
The problem is the media is supposed to be unbiased - they are supposed to be reporting facts.

Said who? I don't think there is any such thing as unbiased media. I don't think it is possible. Traditionally in the US each party published their own newspaper. Free Speech means that the press is free to print what they want.

To me, the important part of good journalism is that they list sources and evidence to back up their story. I also like media that present more than one side. I regularly read a few different outlets from a couple of different perspectives. I don't consider any of them to be unbiased.

What would an unbiased media look like? Would you want American media outlets to give equal weight to the Isis point of view that beheadings of infidels are justified? That beheadings are barbaric is a bias we all share... which is why not a single American media outlet even considers the other point of view.
Linkat

Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:37 am
@maxdancona,
According to the Society of Professional Journalist they are - believe it or not there is an ethics code.... how do I know this - my friend at once wanted to major in journalism but then decided against it.

https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

Maybe it is a joke like Lawyers and ethics.
maxdancona

Wed 12 Apr, 2017 11:40 am
@Linkat,
That link seems to very deliberately avoid any discussion of bias. They use the word "fair", but there is nothing here that says that a journalist should even be "balanced" let alone "unbiased".

It is impossible for a journalist to be "unbiased". I think this is well understood by any educated journalist. The point I am making is not radical.

There is nothing in this ethics code that contradicts this.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 12 Apr, 2017 01:14 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I don't think I ever in my lifetime seen such intense hatred for an elected president before.

where have you been for the last eight years? there's a pretty substantial group of Americans that HATED HATED HATED having a man who looked black as their president. They're still upset about it.
ehBeth

Wed 12 Apr, 2017 01:19 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
The problem is the media is supposed to be unbiased - they are supposed to be reporting facts.

that's the difference between reporters and journalists

one group reports facts, one reports facts and suggests conclusions one might make

I think there have been very few unbiased newspapers/magazines/t.v./radio in the history of North America. Some publicly funded stations do reasonably well with balance but they're generally the exception, not the rule.
maxdancona

Wed 12 Apr, 2017 01:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Everyone believes that they are unbiased. If you say that a news source is "unbiased" you simply are saying that it closely matches your bias.

I listen to publicly funded stations. They are very biased on certain topics (to me at least).
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 12 Apr, 2017 01:33 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
That being said, how did you feel about when Obama was voted (two times) by the people.

After the Cheney/Shrub criminal cabal, I was genuinely pleased at the prospect of hope and change.
0 Replies

Builder

Mon 17 Apr, 2017 02:28 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
They're still upset about it.

I couldn't give a rat's armpit if he was pink, but all that "hope and change" guff never really got anywhere, and he probably dropped more bombs on more people, than Cheney ever did.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 01:35:28