Confused by the word absence. Syllable counting question.

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 09:53 am
Writing a haiku and came to a problem.

To me? Absence should be two syllables as in ab-səns.

M-W.com has two syllables: [ab·sence]
But dictionary.com has three syllables: [ab-suh ns]. I can understand that giving certain accents and regional pronunciations.

Syllable counter has "by their absence" at three syllables (the starting bit of confusion for me that sent me on this minor word journey). Really doesn't make any sense. How would one say that word in one syllable? Never had a problem with this site before. Seems like a very existential glitch.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 777 • Replies: 9
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
centrox
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 11:06 am
I agree with Howmanysyllables.com, which says:

absence

How many syllables in absence? 2 syllables

Divide absence into syllables: ab-sence
Stressed syllable in absence: ab-sence
How to pronounce absence: ab-sens

https://www.howmanysyllables.com/words/absence

https://www.howmanysyllables.com/pronounce/absence.mp3
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 11:11 am
I could imagine that three syllables are reasoned when looking at the Latin origin of the word: ab-sen-tia.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 11:41 am
@centrox,
This didn't copy well:

Stressed syllable in absence: ab-sence
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2017 11:48 am
@centrox,
Went with a cleaner, slightly more abstract in my haiku post:
Quote:
and see only dust
streak through the children's bedroom
hallowed by absence.

Though, hallowed can be stretched to 3 syllables depending....
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 01:25 am
@tsarstepan,
If you need to consult a dictionary to count syllables for haiku next time you visit dictionary.com to look up

absence
[ab-suh ns]

note that the expression in square brackets to which you refer provides a guide to pronunciation.

Underneath that line is a box labelled Syllables

When you click on that tab the word "absence" is shown split into its syllables viz. ab·sence

Then you count the number of syllables that the word has been divided into.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 06:52 am
@ekename,
ekename wrote:

If you need to consult a dictionary to count syllables for haiku next time you visit dictionary.com to look up

absence
[ab-suh ns]

note that the expression in square brackets to which you refer provides a guide to pronunciation.

When you click on that tab the word "absence" is shown split into its syllables viz. ab·sence

Then you count the number of syllables that the word has been divided into.

I did exactly that (all that is stated in the OP). That's where the problem lies. Different dictionaries are providing different answers. Ultimately, I went with the answer that allowed me to write the line I wanted to use.
centrox

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:36 am
I'm a bit puzzled. If you want to know how many syllables a word has, why not just pronounce it, either out loud or in your head?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:38 am
@centrox,
I do. I was just being a nitpicking ninny as I look these things up in case I might be pronouncing these things wrong.

Eventually, that's how I inevitably decide these things.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 08:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
But dictionary.com has three syllables: [ab-suh ns]. I can understand that giving certain accents and regional pronunciations.

I said:

" absence
[ab-suh ns]

When you click on that tab the word "absence" is shown split into its syllables viz. ab·sence "

Quote:
I did exactly that (all that is stated in the OP). That's where the problem lies. Different dictionaries are providing different answers. U

On the contrary, that is exactly what you didn't do otherwise you would know that dictionary.com shows that absence has two syllables.

What you did was look at the pronunciation guide.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Confused by the word absence. Syllable counting question.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 01:16:47