Top 10 Translated Books

Bram

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 01:44 pm
May be not the 10 top translated books, but the 10 top translated writers ...

http://www.unesco.org/culture/xtrans/html_eng/index4.shtml
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 01:52 pm
Enid Blyton?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 01:55 pm
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/index.php?page=works/index.php
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 12:47 am
I don't recall ever hearing him. Embarrassed

Would Sherlock Holmes be one of the top 100 translated books?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 01:24 am
Enid Blyton was a female writer. :wink:

re Sherlock Holmes: The Canon was translated into at least 71 languages
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 01:14 pm
A lot of very important philosophical works are, of course, translated. Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Hegel, etc. Don't think it's necessary to put the Bible on this list yet another time. In terms of literature, Tolstoy and Dostoevsky come to mind immediately.
0 Replies

Priamus

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:25 pm
One question.
Do you think the most translated books are the most read?

It´s what Thalion has said about Plato or Dostoievsky, for instance. They have been translated but how many people have they read them?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:26 pm
Some have borne the test of time...
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:51 pm
I never heard of Blyton neither, wonder how she made the list. Shocked

I don't think that the number of translations necessarily means that there are a lot of people reading them. We would have to have the top 10 bestsellers (hopefully when people buy the books, they read them Laughing ) of all time.

However, quantity (how many people read) does not necessarily mean quality, even if quality may be subjective (what is "good" for you may not be so good for someone else). But surely, in the long run, books that stood the test of time would be the favorites of most people and well read (and reprinted) - quantity and quality wise.

I have not been able to find an official list of the top 10 translated books anywhere yet. I must say that I was surprised to see "The Way" of Lao Tzu as number 2, I thought it would be more the books on Greek philosophy that would make the list, since it is a well known fact that Greece (Greek ideas) is the cradle of Western civilization. But that may be the reason, Western, so maybe the Greek books have not been so much translated into non-Western languages, I don't know. It would be interesting to find the official top 10, because it may be an indication of ... what?? That is the question. Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:11 am
Thanks for noting the uselessness, bram, and welcome to a2k if I didn't say so before.

I'll cheerfully back out of this discussion as I am not very fascinated. May you all have fun and learn a lot.
0 Replies

Yuppie

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:25 pm
now kundera's books are very papular
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 05:26 pm
Any example of Kundera's good books, Yuppie? I don't know this author at all.
0 Replies

saliwsef

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 03:59 am
where is the books
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 04:13 am
One hundred years of solitude
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 06:30 am
Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl could be in the Top 10. Or maybe Don Quixote and perhaps some of Shakespear's work ...
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:17 am
among the most translated poems -

here.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 09:53 am
Radical Edward wrote:
I think Harry Potter is not so improbable (as it has surpassed the Bible in terms of the sellings). It really had a great succes, and not only in the US or in the UK as you said. It's very popular in Europe and it has been translated into rare (or dead) languages (I don't know why Rolling Eyes ) as Latin for example...
Lord of the Rings might be in the list too...

Yes, it is also translated into Zulu Laughing .
0 Replies

Masterengineer

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 03:20 pm
The Principia by Sir Isaac Newton has said to have been translated into nearly every language. This book defined the mechanics of everything using math and has been around since the late 1600's.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 03:30 pm
@Bram,
Astrid Lindgren - some of her books have been translated to 60 languages.

According to Guinness World Records LRon Hubbard. the founder of Scientology should be the worlds most
0 Replies

sudermathi kannan

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 01:26 am
BIBLE is the book translated in most religion.second one is tirukural from tamil.
0 Replies