Setting up a LAN between two computers

stuh505

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 04:42 pm
Really don't know what I'm doing here, and need some help Sad

I got a RJ45 CAT5e crossover cable. I'm trying to connect my new laptop to my PC.

I have tried a number of things. I tried setting up a Direct parallel connection on one and a Incoming Connection on the other...doesn't seem to work, it just keeps failing when it tries to validate logon password.

I also tried setting up a LAN, they seem to be detecting each other SORT OF...because they can tell what the name of the opposite computer is, but I can't actually connect. I have turned down all the security permissions and stuff to be as least restrictive as possible.

Can someone just run me through the steps of what I should be doing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 951 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Cyanure

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 05:42 pm
If you're not using a hub then you need to connect them with crossover cable as you said.
But you have to remember 2 rules:
1- the cable length can't exceed 3 meters.
2- You can use only 4 wires (Pins 1 and 2 to transmit) and (Pins 3 and 6 to receive).
You should connect them as follow:

http://img78.exs.cx/img78/9968/7271.jpg

Remember to hold the RJ45 connector with the 'clip' on the bottom, and pin 1 is the one on the left.

(PS: If you use a hub, things become really easier).
Once connected, just give each computer a different IP address, but the same workgroup name. Then try to ping and it will work.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:16 am
Both computers can ping the other without any problems

I have SP2 on both of them, firewall turned off

both on same workgroup

LAN won't connect still...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:12 pm
Not sure what you mean "LAN won't connect still". What exactly are you trying to do? Have you setup shares on the two systems?
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 01:19 pm
The 3 meter rule is not strict. I have a network in my house and the cable is well over 20 meters (since it wraps around the house).

Assuming you use XP:

The one thing that might be missing is that you have to have both of the pc's on the same workgroup. In order to check that you need to go to properties of my computer and then go to Computer Name. I believe the default is MSHOME.
0 Replies