How do Spammers get my e-mail address?

husker

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 06:11 pm
they have some way to scan files and such and then also a dictionary program that random generates names
0 Replies

RKfan

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 12:34 am
Well the way I do it, I have 2 e-mail addresses. One is to give to friends, family, and websites that I really trust. The second address is what I use to sign up for stuff temporarily, or for those forms that make you put in your e-mail before you can access a certain place.

The first account I get absolutely no spam and I check it about every day. The second I check about once a week to clear out all the spam since about 98 percent of that e-mail is junk I don't want to read.
0 Replies

RKfan

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 12:38 am
Spam is like adware. Once you get one little trace of it, it seems to reproduce itself and before you know it, you're over your head in it.
0 Replies

rhymer

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:35 am
Protect, protect, protect.....
I now use a firewall, antivirus and spyware detection software.
Above that, the one thing that seems to have stopped the majority of spam for me was adopting the Opera Browser, which has its own mail and contact and RSS feed facilities. Dropping IExplorer and Outlook (or O. Express) worked best for me!
The best thing about Microsoft products is their popularity; it draws the 'gremlins' because it is widely used.
Answer - find different software (I find that it works better too, for me).
0 Replies