every bit of your online activity is for sale

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 04:12 pm
Passed by congress, awaiting der Trump guy's signature. I just heared it on TV news.

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 04:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Those that don't how to cover their tracks should learn or stay off questionable websites
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 04:30 pm
@McGentrix,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/03/28/the-house-just-voted-to-wipe-out-the-fccs-landmark-internet-privacy-proteHouse
Republicans voted overwhelmingly Tuesday, by a margin of 215-205, to repeal a set of landmark privacy protections for Web users, issuing a sweeping rebuke of Internet policies enacted under the Obama administration. It also marks a sharp, partisan pivot toward letting Internet providers collect and sell their customers' Web browsing history, location information, health data and other personal details.

The measure, which was approved by a 50-48 margin in the Senate last week, now heads to the White House, where President Trump is expected to sign it.

Congress's joint resolution empowers Internet providers to enter the $83 billion market for online advertising now dominated by Google and Facebook. It is likely to lend momentum to a broader GOP rollback of Obama-era technology policies, and calls into question the fate of other tech regulations such as net neutrality, which was approved in 2015 over strident Republican objections and bans Internet providers from discriminating against websites. And it is a sign that companies such as AT&T, Comcast and Verizon will be treated more permissively at a time when conservatives control all three branches of government.

Supporters of Tuesday's repeal vote argued the privacy regulations, written by the Federal Communications Commission, stifle innovation by forcing Internet providers to abide by unreasonably strict guidelines.

"[Consumer privacy] will be enhanced by removing the uncertainty and confusion these rules will create," said Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), who chairs the House subcommittee that oversees the FCC.

Internet providers can collect enormous amounts of personal information because they can see all of the online activities of users as they browse different sites on the Web, critics of the legislation said. And unlike search engines or streaming video sites, which consumers can easily abandon if they do not agree with their privacy practices, it is far more difficult to choose a different Internet provider. Many Americans have a choice of only one or two broadband companies in their area, according to federal statistics.

Privacy advocates called the House vote "a tremendous setback for America."

“Today’s vote means that Americans will never be safe online from having their most personal details stealthily scrutinized and sold to the highest bidder,” said Jeffrey Chester, executive director of the Center for Digital Democracy. “Donald Trump, by giving away our data to the country’s leading phone and cable giants, is further undermining American democracy.”
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 04:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Trump is a living nightmare that we all need to wake up from.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 07:36 pm
@jcboy,
I don't want to blaspheme as usual as this time I mean it..

OK, ChristopherColumbus on a Horse.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 08:16 pm
So, in looking it over, do either of you understand what it did?

I really want to know because I genuinely want to know if you understand or are just jerking knees.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 08:22 pm
First of all, it was implemented in Oct 2016 so hasn't really had much time to have any affect.

Secondly, it doesn't really effect all of your internet browsing. That is mostly handled by the FTC, not the FCC. So, for example, this has no effect on Facebook, Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. It only effects your ISP. So, like Comcast, Time-Warner, Spectrum, AOL, etc.

Quote:
The scope of the rules is limited to broadband service providers and other telecommunications carriers. The rules do not apply to the privacy practices of web sites and other “edge services” over which the Federal Trade Commission has authority. The scope of the rules do not include other services of a broadband provider, such as the operation of a social media website, or issues such as government surveillance, encryption or law enforcement.

In general, I judge this to be much ado about nothing. Another thing Obama brought in as he was leaving.
hightor

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 07:12 am
@McGentrix,
I've never been too concerned about Big Brother internet privacy issues, figuring that if the atmosphere got too repressive I'd just go permanently offline. But there's something about these carriers making money by selling my online history, and the predicable Republican defense of "profits uber alles" that really bugs me. Anyway, here's the argument against the move, presented reasonably by Tom Wheeler, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission from 2013 to 2017:
Quote:
On Tuesday afternoon, while most people were focused on the latest news from the House Intelligence Committee, the House quietly voted to undo rules that keep internet service providers — the companies like Comcast, Verizon and Charter that you pay for online access — from selling your personal information.

The Senate already approved the bill, on a party-line vote, last week, which means that in the coming days President Trump will be able to sign legislation that will strike a significant blow against online privacy protection.

The bill not only gives cable companies and wireless providers free rein to do what they like with your browsing history, shopping habits, your location and other information gleaned from your online activity, but it would also prevent the Federal Communications Commission from ever again establishing similar consumer privacy protections.

The bill is an effort by the F.C.C.’s new Republican majority and congressional Republicans to overturn a simple but vitally important concept — namely that the information that goes over a network belongs to you as the consumer, not to the network hired to carry it. It’s an old idea: For decades, in both Republican and Democratic administrations, federal rules have protected the privacy of the information in a telephone call. In 2016, the F.C.C., which I led as chairman under President Barack Obama, extended those same protections to the internet.

To my Democratic colleagues and me, the digital tracks that a consumer leaves when using a network are the property of that consumer. They contain private information about personal preferences, health problems and financial matters. Our Republican colleagues on the commission argued the data should be available for the network to sell. The commission vote was 3-2 in favor of consumers.

Reversing those protections is a dream for cable and telephone companies, which want to capitalize on the value of such personal information. I understand that network executives want to produce the highest return for shareholders by selling consumers’ information. The problem is they are selling something that doesn’t belong to them.

Here’s one perverse result of this action. When you make a voice call on your smartphone, the information is protected: Your phone company can’t sell the fact that you are calling car dealerships to others who want to sell you a car. But if the same device and the same network are used to contact car dealers through the internet, that information — the same information, in fact — can be captured and sold by the network. To add insult to injury, you pay the network a monthly fee for the privilege of having your information sold to the highest bidder.

This bill isn’t the only gift to the industry. The Trump F.C.C. recently voted to stay requirements that internet service providers must take “reasonable measures” to protect confidential information they hold on their customers, such as Social Security numbers and credit card information. This is not a hypothetical risk — in 2015 AT&T was fined $25 million for shoddy practices that allowed employees to steal and sell the private information of 280,000 customers.

Among the many calamities engendered by the circus atmosphere of this White House is the diversion of public attention away from many other activities undertaken by the Republican-controlled government. Nobody seemed to notice when the Trump F.C.C. dropped the requirement about networks protecting information because we were all riveted by the Russian hacking of the election and the attempted repeal of Obamacare.

There’s a lot of hypocrisy at play here: The man who has raged endlessly at the alleged surveillance of the communications of his aides (and potentially himself) will most likely soon gladly sign a bill that allows unrestrained sale of the personal information of any American using the internet.

Apparently, the Trump administration and its allies in Congress value privacy for themselves over the privacy of the Americans who put them in office. What is good business for powerful cable and phone companies is just tough luck for the rest of us.

NYT
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 07:14 am
@edgarblythe,
Well where is ma million ? Very Happy
djjd62

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 07:27 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Shocked

i figure i'm worth about a $1.82 canadian

any company that buys my information should sue the seller for faulty merchandise
djjd62

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 07:30 am
@McGentrix,
i use a VPN

but i still stay of questionable websites like, Fox news. CNN et al
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 07:37 am
@djjd62,
Mine is betta...mine's tremendous very faulty good stuff ! Wink
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 07:42 am
@hightor,
I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

The internet has never been truly private. Even using TOR over a VPN isn't really private. I have my browser set to delete cookies every time it closes, That has been as far as I am willing to keep ads at bay.

I would prefer that my internet habits were kept confidential, I would be a bit embarrassed were it ever released, but nothing I couldn't live with. I mean everyone searches for German Grannies with Dutch midgets, right?

The flip side of that is I am hoping (and I know this would never actually happen) that by selling stuff to advertisers ISP's might stop raising rates while making customer service better. Pipe dream, right?

Also, They aren't selling YOUR personal data. they are selling online habits of groups of people. So, what are people in your region or city searching?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 04:08 pm
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/how-isps-can-sell-your-web-history-and-how-to-stop-them/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 04:10 pm
I can't sit at the keyboard long enough to participate on the thread just now. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 05:02 pm
http://media.distractify.com/2aVdC1/840x440/cover-net-1490818380925.jpg
wishing and hoping
Krumple

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 06:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

http://media.distractify.com/2aVdC1/840x440/cover-net-1490818380925.jpg
wishing and hoping

You know damn well public officials, police, ect will be exempt from the law.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 06:16 pm
@Krumple,
Will they use Yahoo 2.0 ? Laughing
Krumple

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 06:22 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Will they use Yahoo 2.0 ? Laughing

Netscape navigator gold.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 07:19 pm
@Krumple,
I think you are overrating their IQ...old folks tech savy...yeah...just look at the Clinton mess.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » every bit of your online activity is for sale
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:57:20