Can someone let me know if this signature is hand written or not?

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 11:42 am
Hi all. So I found this print at a friends parents house and was wondering if the signature was actually handwritten or machine printed. I can't tell at all! I should add that I wouldn't be able to tell anyhow but wanted to see. Obviously it might not be original anyhow but finding out if the signature is hand written or not would be a good start. I can see a darker line in the very middle of the pen line but other than that I can't see anything to indicate it is or isn't. There seems to be no bleed on the ends of the signature ether making it hard to tell but with the paper the way it is maybe that would be why.

http://i66.tinypic.com/6zmv0m.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/6zmv0m.jpg

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 12:16 pm
@Ayupchap,
I would, instead, check how many copies were made of the print. E. g. if the print says 15/450 or something like that, then it's print #15 out of a lot of 450 - and a lot less likely to be a real signature.

I am not an expert in this field and am mainly bumping your topic, but I am looking at this from a pragmatic perspective. Signing 450 copies of something is painful although not impossible. And of course a few copies could be signed here and there, or at shows, etc. An antiques dealer in your town is probably a better source of information on such things.
Ayupchap

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 12:27 pm
@jespah,
Thanks for your help. There are no edition numbers on this at all actually. Just this signature and I just can't tell if the signature is even by hand. I will take it to someone with permission of the owner just to get this clarified but wanted to make sure first it wasn't just a printed signature first of all.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 01:45 pm
@Ayupchap,
Hard to tell from a photo, get a jeweller's loupe, (they don't cost much) and have a look up close.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 06:25 pm
Could be pencil signature, too. Yes, a loop is needed.
0 Replies

Eady

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 04:25 am
@Ayupchap,
You realise the signature is Roy Lichtenstein? If it is an original I imagine it's worth quite a lot. The edge of the print looks too smooth to be an original but someone at a local art gallery or even an art supply shop would be able to give you a better idea than we can from a photo.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 05:07 am
First thing to check-- get a magnifying glass (even a cheap one) and look at the print. If it is made up of teeny tiny dots with the lens, it's a mass market poster shop copy.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:27 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
teeny tiny dots
It's called 'tone' or 'halftone'
0 Replies