The Texas Bathroom Bill

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 03:43 pm
Jim Crow revived and revised for transgenders. -eb

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - The Texas Senate has passed a North Carolina-style "bathroom bill" that targets transgender people, but the proposal still faces big obstacles from becoming law.

The 21-10 final vote on Wednesday came over opposition from big business, the NFL and hundreds of people who packed the Texas Capitol last week during 13 hours of public testimony.

The measure would require people to use public bathrooms that correspond with the sex on their birth certificate.

The hot-button issue was a Senate priority. But Republican House Speaker Joe Straus has publicly and repeatedly denounced the proposal as bad for business. He has stopped short of declaring the bill dead on arrival but his opposition is significant.

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott also hasn't taken a clear public stance on the bill.

© 2017 Associated Press

head asshole Dan Patrick is the driving force behind the bill. -eb

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 03:51 pm
Maybe some will start a peeing resistance and find relief in city hallways..
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 04:40 pm
How do they propose to enforce this? Sounds like a bullshit law to me. All bluster and no substance, to appeal to people who shout "Yee-haw" etc.

Krumple

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 05:13 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

How do they propose to enforce this? Sounds like a bullshit law to me. All bluster and no substance, to appeal to people who shout "Yee-haw" etc.

Imagine the reverse.

Young girl goes into bathroom followed by a guy who claims to be trans.

Should they force businesses and public venues to create a third bathroom for "other"?

This whole thing is silly.

It opens to corruption of the rule by creeps who'll take advantage of the law if it changes. Then what's next, you have to show ID before entering a public restroom to prevent pervs from manipulating the system?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 06:30 pm
How many transgender attacks on people have you ever read about, in bathrooms or otherwise?
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 06:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't know the couple of people person's from here.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 07:11 pm
@Krumple,
Except women could conceivably attack a young girl in a restroom. Or men could attack a young boy, yes?

Of course the vast majority of people want children (and really anyone) to be safe while using the restroom. So - cameras in the common washing area to get ID - that would be Step 1? Or does it only matter if someone is trans?

The point being that the issue of pervs hurting children is already out there.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 07:31 pm
I'll put in a plug for my favorite bathroom. Many visiting a2kers may have been there since the food is so good and we stay long. It's the place next to the great book store.

It is an individual restroom, just near the patio.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 07:53 pm
I tell ya hwut, when I'm in the men's room, I best not see nuthin but another man's dicks in thur!
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 11:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
How many transgender attacks on people have you ever read about, in bathrooms or otherwise?

http://content.ktvb.com/photo/2016/07/13/sean%20smith_1468428970669_4008468_ver1.0.jpg

Quote:
AMMON, Idaho (KIFI/KIDK) - A man who identifies as a transgender woman has been arrested after they took photos of other women inside of the changing room at Target in Ammon.

On Monday the Bonneville County Sheriff's Office responded to the Ammon Target store where an adult female says a person taking pictures of her while she was inside a changing room trying on clothes. The woman noticed the person reaching over the wall of the changing room with a cell phone to take pictures. The victim confronted the subject who ran from the store.

Detectives interviewed witnesses and security footage from Target which led them to 43-year-old Sean Patrick Smith, who also identifies as Shauna Patricia Smith, a transgender female. After interviewing Smith she was taken into custody by Detectives and booked into the Bonneville County Jail for one felony count of voyeurism.

Detectives are still investigating to determine if any more victims exist relating to this incident.

http://able2know.org/topic/317941-2#post-6224636
Krumple

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 11:11 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

http://content.ktvb.com/photo/2016/07/13/sean%20smith_1468428970669_4008468_ver1.0.jpg

Quote:
AMMON, Idaho (KIFI/KIDK) - A man who identifies as a transgender woman has been arrested after they took photos of other women inside of the changing room at Target in Ammon.

On Monday the Bonneville County Sheriff's Office responded to the Ammon Target store where an adult female says a person taking pictures of her while she was inside a changing room trying on clothes. The woman noticed the person reaching over the wall of the changing room with a cell phone to take pictures. The victim confronted the subject who ran from the store.

Detectives interviewed witnesses and security footage from Target which led them to 43-year-old Sean Patrick Smith, who also identifies as Shauna Patricia Smith, a transgender female. After interviewing Smith she was taken into custody by Detectives and booked into the Bonneville County Jail for one felony count of voyeurism.

Detectives are still investigating to determine if any more victims exist relating to this incident.

http://able2know.org/topic/317941-2#post-6224636

But wait Oralloy, it will never happen. No one would ever manipulate a law that is suppose to be inclusive.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 02:56 am
@jespah,
It's a nasty lie, trans people don't do that. There aren't any cases, bigots cite it so they can pretend not to be bigots. Krumple has a track record of this sort of thing, she's spent an inordinate amount of time questioning the number of people who died in the Holocaust. There's no good reason to do that.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 03:23 am
@oralloy,
That's clearly a cis man bullshitting. You really do talk a load of bigoted crap.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 04:32 am
It's already against the law to commit sex crimes, regardless of orientation or gender identification. The bathroom law is meant to move transgenders out of society as much as possible. If you can't go to the toilet, how can you go to school or any other place where a restroom is required.
saab

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 04:58 am
Now and then in my hometown I use the restroom in a very nice hotel.
There is now a men/women restroom.
First time I went there I got all confused because a man was washing his hands as I entered.
Now I am used to it. Every toilet is sturdy buildt and I have the impression well soundproof.
I even get the feeling of more privecy than in most restrooms only for women, where three walls often have openings towards the roof and towards the floor.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 05:29 am
@edgarblythe,
It's a pile of **** cooked up by by religious extremists and bigots in general.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 08:00 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's a nasty lie, trans people don't do that. There aren't any cases, bigots cite it so they can pretend not to be bigots. Krumple has a track record of this sort of thing, she's spent an inordinate amount of time questioning the number of people who died in the Holocaust. There's no good reason to do that.

Yeah bigots have been leading a conspiracy! Fake news stories all over the place it's any wonder Izzy isn't crazy. Can I Barrow your tinfoil hat please!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:51 pm
This is slightly encouraging:

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/03/17/texas-house-bathroom-bill-uncertain-fate/

For weeks, it’s been clear that the Texas “bathroom bill” would face a less-than-friendly reception in the Texas House. After passing out of the Senate this week, the controversial legislation's path forward is up to House Speaker Joe Straus, who has expressed reservations about the bill.

But as leaders in the Texas House hint that the high-profile bill may never reach the chamber's floor for a vote, some are bracing for the fallout to reverberate throughout the remainder of the legislative session.

Senate Bill 6 — a legislative priority of Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick — would regulate bathroom use in public schools and government buildings on the basis of “biological sex,” prohibiting most transgender people from using bathrooms that align with their gender identity. The legislation would also nix local anti-discrimination laws meant to allow transgender residents to use public bathrooms that match their gender identity.

While Straus has not yet announced which committee will handle SB 6, the powerful State Affairs committee is a likely destination. The committee's chairman, Republican state Rep. Byron Cook, indicated Thursday that the legislation would probably receive a hearing if his committee received it, but he was far from enthusiastic about the proposal.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 03:54 pm
North Carolina repealed their hate law against transgenders today.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 04:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
The fascists won't be in power forever.
0 Replies