Time change

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 01:17 am
This weekend is our time change in the US...I was wondering if all countries have a time change and the origin of this event? Rolling Eyes

centrox

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 01:30 am
Most areas in North America and Europe, and some areas in the Middle East observe change time in spring to daylight saving time (DST), and back again in autumn.

Most areas of Africa and Asia do not.

In South America most countries in the north of the continent near the equator do not observe DST, while Paraguay and southern parts of Brazil do.

Oceania is also mixed, with New Zealand and parts of southeastern Australia observing DST, while most other areas do not.

Not all countries use the same dates in spring and autumn.

The idea was proposed at various times in history, including by Benjamin Franklin in 1784, and New Zealander George Hudson in 1895.

The German Empire and Austria-Hungary organized the first nationwide implementation, starting on April 30, 1916.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 11:24 am
@visceral,
Vis for what it's worth some of us consider it one of mankind's biggest time wasters
0 Replies

visceral

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 11:58 pm
@centrox,
thank you....seems everyone has their own agenda w/ time changes.
ekename

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 02:26 am
@visceral,
Quote:
agenda w/ time changes.

The extra daylight fades the curtains framing my view of the world and dazzles me at first then

puts me in mind of the famous quotation , "Agenda, agenda, my family jewels for agenda", by either Pink or Floyd.

Setanta

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 05:13 am
In the United States, Arizona and Hawaii don't participate in the time change. Most of the dependencies and territories (perhaps all of them) also don't participate--Guam, Puerto Rico, the Marianas Islands and the U. S. Virgin Islands. I personally think it's idiocy, and if i recall correctly, it was enacted as a means for the railroads to standardize time-keeping in the States, for their own corporate purposes. However, government doesn't listen to my advice.
jespah

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 05:24 am
@Setanta,
Is Indiana still on a county per county basis?
Setanta

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 07:04 am
@jespah,
I tried to check that, but was too lazy to dig very deeply.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 07:19 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Is Indiana still on a county per county basis?

The whole state has used DST since April 2006. Most of the state uses Eastern Time, but some counties to the north-west and south-west use Central Time.

https://c.tadst.com/gfx/750w/indiana-county-map.png?1
visceral

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:40 am
@ekename,
lol... I prefer shades....it avoids the sun filtering in, and interrupting my alternative world of dreamland. Btw...love Pink and Floyd.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 11:09 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I personally think it's idiocy
Well, Set, at last we agree on somethin'
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 01:44 pm
@centrox,
Thanks! I do recall visiting (egad, it was the mid-70s) and wondering why the time changed when you crossed counties.
roger

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 03:57 pm
@jespah,
If you lived in North Platt, Nebraska you could see it change when you crossed the street, though this has nothing to do with daylight savings.
0 Replies

Photography Lover

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:30 pm
@visceral,
In New Zealand it is currently daylight saving time. Daylight saving ends on the 2nd of April 2017 where the clocks go back 1 hour which is Autumn in New Zealand. Daylight saving here will then start again on 24 September 2017 where the clocks go forward an hour.

The changes here always happen on around the same time of the year and always at 2am Sunday morning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:51 pm
I just changed my clocks.
ekename

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 12:02 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I just changed my clocks.

That reminds me of the time I went to a wife-swapping party and I didn't get home until 3 in the morning with the ride on mower. It would have been earlier but I lost an hour. Sometimes I wonder what ever became of that mower.

ekename

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 04:33 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Quote:
During his time as an American envoy to France, Benjamin Franklin, publisher of the old English proverb "Early to bed, and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise", anonymously published a letter suggesting that Parisians economize on candles by rising earlier to use morning sunlight. This 1784 satire proposed taxing window shutters, rationing candles, and waking the public by ringing church bells and firing cannons at sunrise. Despite common misconception, Franklin did not actually propose DST; 18th-century Europe did not even keep precise schedules. However, this soon changed as rail transport and communication networks came to require a standardization of time unknown in Franklin's day.

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 04:54 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Thanks! I do recall visiting (egad, it was the mid-70s) and wondering why the time changed when you crossed counties.

Between 1918 and 2006 Indiana time was a crazy patchwork.
0 Replies

visceral

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 12:30 pm
@ekename,
Lollll I wonder how you sleep at night...with that energizer mind of yours Question
ekename

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 01:13 am
@visceral,
Quote:
Time change

Dali Saving Time: Back and Forth

A girl and her large plumes de nom
With flair verve panache and aplomb
Took few moments rarely
To look at once where she
Was going and where she was from.

1. Forums
  2. » Time change
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:49:48