What would you say? Buy, sell or hold?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,090 • Replies: 9
No top replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 06:10 pm
I'm not a Gloom & Doomer but, right now, 2/2 @ 7 pm ET, I can see no reason to be putting money into this market.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:17 pm
Why's that?

Buy low and sell high. Now's the time to buy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:33 pm
I think it is according to the purpose for which you buy stocks. Problem with the utilities, is that after deregulation, many of them went into related fields of which they had little knowledge, and overextended themselves financially. Many of them now are trimming down, pulling back, and selling off the subsidiaries that do not have a direct relationship with providing power to customers.

Many people buy utilities for the dividends that they throw off. Many of the companies have cut these dividends, to allow for the mistakes that were made in the last few years.

I think that it is going to take awhile for the utilities to bounce back from the losses that they have suffered from biting off more than they could chew. If you have the werewithal to wait, I think that the utilities will settle down. Right now, it is a cockeyed rollercoaster. There are some utilities that I watch, and I laugh ( Confused ) when I see what is going on.

IMO, at this point I would hold what I have, and be very careful about any that I might consider buying.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:38 pm
Some of the stocks are paying good dividends and yields. But that's for now. No one knows about 6 months the road. Mad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:49 pm
New Haven- That is the problem. The utilities are no longer safe havens for widows and orphans. They are practically as volatile as any other sector!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:07 pm
Phoenix:

Is there any safe haven in the Stock market relative to equity stocks? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:14 pm
New Haven - Damned if I know. I think that the important thing before a person buys a stock is to check the financials, and see if a company is strong, and thus will be able withstand the sturm und drang that will be with us for the next few years.

I also watch to see how much the companies' officers take out of the business. I learned this through bitter experience. If the salaries and perks for the main honchos in the firm seem out of line with how the company is doing financially, watch out!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:16 pm
Phoenix:

All good points!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:12 am
I bought a few more shares, last week ,of my favorite utility stock. Very Happy
0 Replies