Adult insulting a young teen

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 02:02 pm
@ehBeth,
really T-ball? I remember that - all the kids are just too busy picking grass in the fields to even run after the ball - they don't even usually know what base to run to.

As an aside my daughter is going to run a free Tball clinic for her senior project.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 02:15 pm
@Linkat,
really

parents were yelling at their kids the other week - the ball's over there, get the ball, pay attention

several were taken aside for a chat, one was asked to go sit in their car (they're playing in a church hall on a huge turf mat til it's field season)
Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 02:49 pm
@ehBeth,
This made me remember something funny - just proves it is competition and parents and not necessarily just sports. We were away at a softball tournament and the team was staying at this large hotel. It was large enough that there were other functions going on besides those attending the softball tournament - there was a dart competition and a huge chess competition being held in their many function rooms.

The chess competition was a huge deal - there were many groups coming in on buses with a good majority coming all the way from various Asian countries - kids of all ages.

So we were hanging in the lobby with the team having a team dinner - I went to use the bathroom and as I walked by the function rooms with the chess competition going on -- I saw an Asian dad talking sternly to his young son -- just the same way I see parents of youths that play sports. I couldn't understand what he was saying in words -- but obviously dad was giving a stern pep talk.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 02:53 pm
From a 2014 article in the Guardian:

Quote:
Last year, the FA recorded almost 4,000 cases of misconduct by adults at youth football games. In 2008 it launched the Respect programme, aimed at creating a less hostile, more sporting environment. Gary Lineker, former England striker and professional nice guy, recently said his pet hate in football was pushy parents on the touchline. He claimed that "99% of what these parents shout is wrong". He thought parents should be obliged to watch in silence, forbidden to call out, their support restricted to their physical presence.

Mind you, we haven't seen this sort of thing (yet):

Quote:
ROCHESTER TOWNSHIP, Pa. - 16 September 2016 Two people are facing charges after police investigated claims that a parent pulled out a gun during a fight with another parent at a youth football game.

Authorities arrived at the Rochester School District’s football field Sunday afternoon after several 911 calls came in near the end of the a football game between fifth and sixth graders, with callers saying someone had a gun on school property.

According to a criminal complaint, the football coach cursed at a player, and the player’s father, Jared Wright, attacked the football coach. Another father, Ryan Clark, started fighting with Wright and detectives said Clark pulled a gun.

“That’s not right especially on school grounds,” Gary Rexroad said.

According to the criminal complaint, Clark grabbed Wright’s sunglasses, and Wright pushed Clark into a vehicle. Clark then pulled a gun out of his vehicle, and appeared to chamber a round into the firearm, police said.

“That is just not the right behavior to do in front of children,” Ashley Globe said.

One parent is charged with assault on a sports official and terroristic threats, while the other parent is charged with assault possession of a gun on school property and terroristic threats.

Police said neither party is cooperating with the investigation.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 04:26 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

From a 2014 article in the Guardian:

Quote:
He thought parents should be obliged to watch in silence, forbidden to call out, their support restricted to their physical presence.

this has happened in some local hockey leagues

parents have to shut up completely or they're out of the arena
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:01 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
mom on the other team just said something to me -- "You are a joke!"

The other Mom probably meant "Your team is a joke", but didn't fully express herself in the matter.

Miller

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:16 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Too bad someone didnt ask this woman what she meant.

I agree. What did she mean? I suspect she didn't mean anything. If this 14 yr old girl lived in a major City, she'd have many, many more problems of urban life to cope with. She's lucky to live in an upscale town with upscale folks.

A good taste of REAL world can be ( as Obama said) a learning experience.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:17 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

What do you mean by that?

What did you say?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 05:51 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
...probably meant "Your team is a joke", but didn't fully express herself in the matter.

That would still be totally inappropriate. No parent or adult from the other team should ever do such a thing. Lord knows what sorts of hurtful things they might be making to their own children if the child doesn't do well.
roger

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 09:36 pm
@Sturgis,
Don't be silly. Her children are perfect and that includes good sportsmanship.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:22 pm
There is no way that it is appropriate for any adult to be speaking to a non-adult in that way. I know people take sports seriously, but to trod on a youngster because you're disappointed is beyond the pale. To care about it that much is almost as bad. It's a SPORT, people!
roger

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 04:26 pm
@Mame,
Howdy, Stranger

Yeah, I know you ain't no stranger than anybody else around here.
Mame

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 05:03 pm
@roger,
Nice to see you, Roger - I've missed you. Smile
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 02:11 pm
@Mame,
Well said.

Good to see you around these parts Mame.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 06:37:10